Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8675  by JoeG

Sorry, I was away for a few days, just saw the questions.

The mirror thing is actually an old makeup mirror. The picture is showing the reflection of the mirror in the tank. Since the tank isn’t by a window and it’s winter time I thought I would try to reflect some natural light from a nearby window into the tank. Seems to be working fine. If we do have a little sunshine and it gets reflected into the tank there are shrimp that tend to hang out there on the glass in the sun. Also I thought the extra light might benefit the algae.

The green stuff is algae and it did show up by itself over time. I know it doesn’t look like normal algae that grows on glass but it is the only algae that has ever showed up in the tank, other than the brown algae that showed up after about two weeks. The brown was replaced with this green algae.

The big rocks are lava rocks that I got at the local fish store. The shrimp definitely like them. With the original 33 shrimp I would only see about 10-15 at any time, the rest were always hiding behind them or in the cave area between them.

Odin thanks again for fixing the photos.
 #9476  by JoeG

Well we are coming up to the three year anniversary in two months! All the green algae is gone from the tank, we are up to 300+ shrimp now, and currently have approximately 85 floaters and 5 berried females. There are lots of shrimp out and about now. I feed them one shrimp tablet or dried spirulina twice per month. I had put in two MTS about 1 1/2 years ago, hadn’t seen them in months, so I figured they died, and both showed up this week. They never multiplied as far as I know but they look great, their shells are very nice looking. Since there are so many shrimp in this tank now I started a new 1 gallon tank with 10 shrimp two months ago and one of the females is already berried. These shrimp are great and I’m still enjoying them a lot.

Odin HELP the photos are coming in upside down again. Don’t understand why the one gallon tank photo came in right, they all look good on my tablet. :blush:
Attachments:
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (714.98 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (908.98 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (985.41 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
New 1 gallon tank. Even with rocks it holds exactly 1 gal water
New 1 gallon tank. Even with rocks it holds exactly 1 gal water
DF193FE2-9A10-47AA-BF5C-5F94DF047B97.jpeg (448.93 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
 #9485  by odin

There we go! I spot berried shrimp so you are doing a great job for them. :smile: :wink: :cool: