Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9773  by opae ula related

Found a PHD student in Biological Oceanography studying plankton. I asked about possible foods for Lohena. Any additional questions I should ask? I asked if this is easily obtainable and if plankton in Hawaii is different than the one found in California for example.

#9779  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Is he familiar with the lohena larvae lifecycle? Besides the food what salinity enables their survival?
I told him a little bit of the lifecycle but he doesn’t raise shrimp. The ocean is full salinity so that is given.

Have you still been trying?
 #9780  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Is he familiar with the lohena larvae lifecycle? Besides the food what salinity enables their survival?
Btw, I accidentally put a young lohena in my Opae ula tank in Nov 2019 thinking it was a Opae ula and it is still alive and grown up. I never really feed that tank so it must be eating Opae ula larvae. I could never catch it when I see it occasionally.

I really couldn’t distinguish between a young lohena ( smaller than normal Opae ula ) and a Opae ula at that time.

So my assumption is that they can come back to the pools really young. My best estimate of the size I mistakenly put in the Opae ula tank was 6 to 7mm.
 #9781  by Beano

I have not tried breeding the larvae. Been too busy with work. I would if there is a clear roadmap for success 😁

The small lohena you mentioned, was it bought or it managed to survive from larvae?
 #9782  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:I have not tried breeding the larvae. Been too busy with work. I would if there is a clear roadmap for success Image

The small lohena you mentioned, was it bought or it managed to survive from larvae?
Bought. I wish it survive from LarvaImage