Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #884  by Ann

Without filtration and/or water changes, won't the water quality suffer? The shrimp do produce waste and it should toxify the water at some point. Just wondering.
Ann
 #886  by odin

You wont have any issues with your water quality when it comes to shrimp and snails pooping and creating ammonia, your cycled tank will turn it all into algae food and help that grow! Which in turn will be eaten by the shrimps :smile: The only thing that will swing the balance is feeding too much food into the tank putting the cycle under too much pressure. This will either make toxic ammonia and nitrites hang around until its processed into nitrates or it will get turned directly into nitrates but the quantity that is produced will be too much for the algae to process and use as a food source quickly for its self making it hang around in the water, ideally you don't want any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates lingering in the water.

If you do get this issue you will see the shrimps being very un happy and some *may* die if the issue is Ammonia or Nitrites or HIGH levels of nitrates, but if you do a water change to dilute the toxic levels it will help keep the tank healthy, or you can just dump a vial of biodigest (bottled bacteria) in and it will almost instantly turn the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates into food the algae or macroalgae can use for around 2 weeks.
 #888  by Ann

Truly amazing! Here is a pet for children, the elderly, busy people, and the handicapped! They give so much and take so little. They should be the official pets of the world! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions
Ann :grin:
 #891  by odin

I totally agree! I'm tempted to buy a glass cube to have a couple of these guys in on my desk at work :sidesmile:
 #892  by Ann

What a great idea!They seem to be such good company and an endless source of enjoyment.
Ann :smile: