Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1107  by odin

Its difficult to tell males from females unfortunately, you may get lucky and have a male and female though!
 #1109  by odin

If i was to make a good guess i would say around 10 + months old at least.
 #1112  by odin

This ones a hard one too, I've got some shrimp that are over a year old but look smaller in size compared to other Opae Ula which I have that are also the same age, I think it's safe to say at a year old they are fully grown.

That's a neat setup you have! Is the light inside the flask? Very cool.

Edit: meant shrimp the same age not the same size! Lol that wouldn't of made any sense. :smile:
 #1114  by odin

I would need a close up photo of this web like stuff to try and ID it, where did you get your sand? There could be something in that causing this.
 #1116  by odin

You are going to see lots of changes in the tank while it's all cycling and settling down, if you go by how the shrimp are behaving then you will know if what's happening in the tank is good or bad for the shrimp.
 #1119  by odin

That's a true shame and it does sound like some sort of poisoning or contamination. Don't be worried about them not being too active, they like to just sit still and eat from the surface of the substrate, they only tend to flit around quickly if they are stressed and panicked.
 #1124  by odin

That is very normal, i have often had shrimp moult the same day or so when they enter a new environment, you don't need to remove the moult/skin.. that is food for them and contains alot of good nutrients.
 #1127  by odin

Feed once every 2 weeks OR longer will be more then enough food for them, once you get algae growing in your tank you may not even need to feed them at all. :wink:
 #1130  by odin

how much of the shrimp is stuck in their molt? a failed molt is not a very good sign :upset: