Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1177  by odin

Ive noticed them doing this, they are almost cleaning or rubbing them selfs, they sort of curl up into a reverse 'U' shape.
 #1185  by odin

Keeping the lid off sounds a good idea, the more oxygen the tank may receive the healthier it will be, i wouldn't add anything to the tank now not even algae etc. stay on top of the water evaporation top off and let the tank mature. Your shrimps will be much happier that way. Thanks for the update! :wink:
 #1202  by odin

I have cleaned pretty much all of the hair algae out of my tank already :blush: I do have some small pieces that have grown back but its nothing like in my videos (big handfuls). Are you sure its hair algae you want and not macro algae? hair algae grows fast and macro algae doesn't, if you have both one wont grow very well as they seem to outcompete each other for food.
 #1204  by odin

This was last week where most of it has been removed lol:

The video you posted is marine chaeto which does indeed grow fast as his fish tank water is loaded with food/nutrients and they want it to grow like crazy to keep the water healthy... his lights will be insanely bright, macro algae grows extremely slow, its only slightly thicker then hair algae.

I dont mind which you would like but i would go with a cutting of the macroalge, i can put in some green tank algae that has grown on my glass in with it too if you wish.
 #1206  by odin

Which algae are you referring too the macroalgae? If so a friend set me up with it :laugh:

If you PM me your address I will see how much it costs to send and if its not bad I will pay for postage, i don't want anything for the algae its self :smile:
 #1210  by odin

Hmmm in my tank its probably grown a few centimeters in a month, i have some in a different tank that doesn't get fed which has a very low bioload and it hasn't really grown at all. I'll be honest this grows really slow compared to hair algae which grows mentally fast.

edit: thanks, i had to do a fair few things to reduce it!
 #1233  by odin

Great video and thanks for the share, your shrimp must be doing well if they are not away hiding constantly with it being a new tank. Keep the photos and videos coming! :sidesmile:
 #1237  by odin

Regarding your PM i would say add another 5 shrimp and see how you get on? With it being a new tank you don't want to over load it to start out.
 #1260  by odin

:laugh: Yup its a mixture of snails and shrimp poop, they poop alot. :smile: :lol: