Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1545  by Opaeforms

Hi all,

Great forum! Looking forward to contributing! I wondered if anyone had tried a fertile substrate in an Opae Ula tank? I'm thinking of setting up a tank with a substrate of inert sand and crushed coral, but in one corner where I'd like to grow some dwarf hairgrass I'd like to put a layer of ADA Aquasoil underneath. Anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks!
 #1549  by Opaeforms

Hopefully! From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be possible to grow it in brackish water as it experiences brackish water in it's natural environment.
 #1552  by Opaeforms

Not initially but i if I i don't get any results then maybe! I've managed to grow (slowly) hairgrass without co2 in my freshwater tank so i know that's possible.
 #1555  by odin

Welcome to our forum @Opaeforms ! That is an interesting question which im not to sure about, if you go ahead then make sure the tanks cycled and handles the initial ammonia spike that's released from the soil before adding the shrimp and deal with the nitrates. Keep us informed on the tank and how it goes as id love some plants in my Opae tanks, I only have macro algae and hair algae.
Last edited by odin on 11 Oct 2016 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
 #1556  by Ann

Opaeforms wrote:Hi all,

Great forum! Looking forward to contributing! I wondered if anyone had tried a fertile substrate in an Opae Ula tank? I'm thinking of setting up a tank with a substrate of inert sand and crushed coral, but in one corner where I'd like to grow some dwarf hairgrass I'd like to put a layer of ADA Aquasoil underneath. Anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks!
Hi. Happy to meet you.
Ann :smile:
 #1618  by Opaeforms

Thanks Halocardinia. Yes, i think you're right. There will be a lot more coral than ADA Aquasoil so hopefully will not make too much of an impact.

Cheers for the plant suggestion too. I'll investigate!