Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1951  by Priscilla

Hey guys,

So today while staring at the tank, I noticed a large number of tiny white specs moving about.
Are they dangerous? I've never seen them before. :what:

I thought something is wrong with the water and took a test strip to check.
After taking the strip out, the strip has like brown stuff on it, the water surface has some brown stuff as well, should I clear it or do a water change? :huh:
 #1952  by odin

Sounds like this is the start of your tank cycle and should happen, leave the tank as it is and just test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. All seems well on track to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1954  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Sounds like this is the start of your tank cycle and should happen, leave the tank as it is and just test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. All seems well on track to me!

Hi Odin,

Even if I transferred the old tank contents into the new one, it will start to cycle again? :huh:
What are those white specs and brown stuff anyway?
 #1955  by odin

The brown is likely diatoms and the white things could be this: copepods

viewtopic.php?t=155

Photos would help identify it more though, I'm kind of guessing :p

Last edited by odin on 28 Oct 2016 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
 #1986  by Priscilla

odin wrote:The brown is likely diatoms and the white things could be this: copepods

viewtopic.php?t=155

Photos would help identify it more though, I'm kind of guessing :p

This is taken from bottom up! You see the brown thing on the water? That's the one! The shrimps seemed to have picked a hole into that thing. Are these diatoms? I thought they usually will be on something and not floating about Image

How are copepods formed?
Looks like the one in the link but smaller Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1989  by Halocaridina

I have a similar film on the top of the water, except it is green. It seems to be normal in stagnant saltwater tanks. The shrimp feed on it from time to time.
 #1990  by Priscilla

Halocaridina wrote:I have a similar film on the top of the water, except it is green. It seems to be normal in stagnant saltwater tanks. The shrimp feed on it from time to time.
Oh I see Image And what do I do with the copepods?

#1991  by Halocaridina

Priscilla wrote:
Halocaridina wrote:I have a similar film on the top of the water, except it is green. It seems to be normal in stagnant saltwater tanks. The shrimp feed on it from time to time.

I have never had copepods, but it seems they feed on algae and tiny food particles in the water. Have you tried water changes and less feeding (if you are feeding)?
 #1993  by Priscilla

Halocaridina wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

I have never had copepods, but it seems they feed on algae and tiny food particles in the water. Have you tried water changes and less feeding (if you are feeding)?
I stopped feeding them for about a week plus already.
Should I do a water change now? :huh:
 #1997  by odin

Copepods are a good sign though!