Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2075  by odin

Good question, i call my large tank a breeder tank because its the tank i can feed heavy and regularly, have a large quantity of water so any fouling is heavily diluted and has no swings in water parameters and the free tank space encourages reproduction as opposed to cramped conditions. It will also hold large quantity's of shrimp to increase mating chances and the tanks size handles the bio-load from them easily, the water quantity holds a huge amount of beneficial bacteria which converts the shrimp waste and ammonia into nitrates which gets made into algae food.

If you fed the quantity of food i currently give to a small tank it would foul the water and give off a huge ammonia spike and probably kill off the tank pretty quickly. My 30Litre and under don't really ever get fed extra food except for what grows in the tank.
Last edited by odin on 06 Nov 2016 17:56, edited 3 times in total.
 #2078  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Good question, i call my large tank a breeder tank because its the tank i can feed heavy and regularly, have a large quantity of water so any fouling is heavily diluted and has no swings in water parameters and the free tank space encourages reproduction as opposed to cramped conditions. It will also hold large quantity's of shrimp to increase mating chances and the tanks size handles the bio-load from them easily, the water quantity holds a huge amount of beneficial bacteria which converts the shrimp waste and ammonia into nitrates which gets made into algae food.

If you fed the quantity of food i currently give to a small tank it would foul the water and give off a huge ammonia spike and probably kill off the tank pretty quickly. My 30Litre and under don't really ever get fed extra food except for what grows in the tank.
Oh, so it has to be really big. Is a breeder tank supposed to be empty? As in without decoration and cave?
 #2081  by odin

It's best to have lots of space but also lots of caves, hiding places and dark spots. You basically want to just maximise the chances of them breeding and having very stable water conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2086  by Priscilla

odin wrote:It's best to have lots of space but also lots of caves, hiding places and dark spots. You basically want to just maximise the chances of them breeding and having very stable water conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ah I see! Can't wait for my shrimps to breed! Maybe the tank is a little crowded, hmm. :huh: