Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2592  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:
opae ula related wrote:Btw, nice tank. Is that wire on one of the lava rocks?
I would like to know that too, or is it fishing line?
Right it's fishing line which I used to tie up the chaeto but apparently all the chaeto is eaten up by the nerite snail leaving only the line :laugh:

Also, wanted to remove the rock and line but was afraid that might affect the pregnant shrimp. but I guess it's alright to remove now
 #2593  by odin

HelloWorld wrote:
Right it's fishing line which I used to tie up the chaeto but apparently all the chaeto is eaten up by the nerite snail leaving only the line :laugh:

Also, wanted to remove the rock and line but was afraid that might affect the pregnant shrimp. but I guess it's alright to remove now
Ahh i see, how many Opae ula shrimp do you have in your tank at the moment?
 #2594  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:
HelloWorld wrote:

Ahh i see, how many Opae ula shrimp do you have in your tank at the moment?
I have 4 at the moment. It's a 5 gal fluval chi tank. I've added crushed corals on the top of the water fountain for higher ph
 #2595  by HelloWorld

Also, the shrimps are not learning how to eat spirulina floating on top of the water. I was thinking of applying the powder onto a small rock while it is wet so that it sticks on when it's dry. Then I'll just proceed to drop the small rock on the top of the dragonstone
 #2596  by odin

Sounds good, Have you seen any of Christine Ha's Opae ula videos? she has a tank the same as yours and had to modify her filter or tank top to stop shrimps from getting caught up in it, here is a link to one of her videos which are all worth a watch:

How long have you had your shrimp for?
Last edited by odin on 17 Jan 2017 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
 #2597  by odin

HelloWorld wrote:Also, the shrimps are not learning how to eat spirulina floating on top of the water. I was thinking of applying the powder onto a small rock while it is wet so that it sticks on when it's dry. Then I'll just proceed to drop the small rock on the top of the dragonstone
That could work, what i do is take a syringe of water and squirt it into a container, add the spirulina powder and then mix it up well.. take the syringe and suck the mixture backup and squirt it into the tank and it clouds up and floats down to the substrate. The shrimp swim in circles and loops catching the food if they are hungry. Only use the most tiny amount of food though because if they don't eat it you will have it all sat in your tank which will break down and cause water quality issues (unless the snails finish it all off which they are good at! :smile: )
 #2598  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:Sounds good, Have you seen any of Christine Ha's Opae ula videos? she has a tank the same as yours and had to modify her filter or tank top to stop shrimps from getting caught up in it, here is a link to one of her videos which are all worth a watch:

How long have you had your shrimp for?

Yeah I've watched her video which is why I find the tank beautiful and decided to get one also. I had 1 shrimp for 1 year plus. The rest was bought from a local guy and added in
 #2599  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:
That could work, what i do is take a syringe of water and squirt it into a container, add the spirulina powder and then mix it up well.. take the syringe and suck the mixture backup and squirt it into the tank and it clouds up and floats down to the substrate. The shrimp swim in circles and loops catching the food if they are hungry. Only use the most tiny amount of food though because if they don't eat it you will have it all sat in your tank which will break down and cause water quality issues (unless the snails finish it all off which they are good at! :smile: )

This sounds way much easier but I'm afraid it might pollute the water as you've mentioned.
 #2600  by odin

If you have had your shrimp for a good while then at least you know you have a mix of females and males and will gets eggs again, if not the female may of come in the pre berried stage when you got her. Im sure you will get some more berried shrimp soon though! Just keep and eye out for moults in your tank because you can expect eggs soon after that if all goes well and you have a mix of males and females.
 #2601  by HelloWorld

odin wrote:If you have had your shrimp for a good while then at least you know you have a mix of females and males and will gets eggs again, if not the female may of come in the pre berried stage when you got her. Im sure you will get some more berried shrimp soon though! Just keep and eye out for moults in your tank because you can expect eggs soon after that if all goes well and you have a mix of males and females.

Sure thanks odin! Well I got the shrimps for close to 3 weeks already and I just saw the Berried shrimp last Sunday. Say, if there are no moults, they won't breed?