Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3003  by Edwid

Day 2 of the pioneers

Only 2 of the 4 can be seen at all. Seems like they have found their hiding spots :p just hoping the other two are still kicking somewhere happily
 #3005  by odin

Tank looks great, im glad the shrimp are settling in! I bet you are excited to get the new Opae ulas :smile:
 #3023  by Edwid

Shrimps have arrived earlier than expected! All healthy and red. Any tip on how to acclimate the shrimps?

I have added some water from my tank into the bag they came from (added about 20% of the volume in the bag) and leave it overnight. The next day, I plan to mix some water from the bag back into my tank then I start to transfer them. Is this a good plan?

#3024  by odin

Edwid wrote:Shrimps have arrived earlier than expected! All healthy and red. Any tip on how to acclimate the shrimps?

I have added some water from my tank into the bag they came from (added about 20% of the volume in the bag) and leave it overnight. The next day, I plan to mix some water from the bag back into my tank then I start to transfer them. Is this a good plan?

Oh cool they all look nice and red! I would put them in a bowl or leave them in the bag and slowly add your tank water for an hour then just release them into your tank.
 #3029  by odin

Edwid wrote:I see. Thanks for the info. Does it stresses them out very much when I try to catch a few of them to transfer for example?
All shrimp get stressed out easily so for this reason i would put the bag into a container and cut the bag open so they are all swimming free then move them and the water over into your new tank. Or you could just float the bag in your tank and cut the bag open and let them out that way.
 #3031  by Edwid

Introduced 45 of them in and they are happily grazing whatever food they can find them in the tank! This is really fun looking at them, especially when their colours are really so beautiful!

One even moulted inside the new tank while I see another exoskeleton in the bag they were in!
Last edited by Edwid on 09 Apr 2017 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
 #3032  by odin

Now that is a great view indeed! I'm glad all went smoothly for you, you will see a lot of new moults for the first few days as they do this when put into different water conditions to what they were originally in but its nothing to worry about and completely normal and there is no need to remove them as they will be eaten.

Keep the photos and updates coming for all to see! :laugh:
 #3041  by Edwid

Yeah. Love seeing the cool moult!

Will share more if I catch anything interesting, especially looking forward to my first ever berried female

Here's another moult. Never tired of seeing them at all

Last edited by Edwid on 09 Apr 2017 01:30, edited 1 time in total.