Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2895  by Edwid

Oh. Just the tubing? How did you create the suction force? And manage to maintain the suction force for such a big pipe? Sorry for asking so many questions because I am really a newbie at this.

I saw some small fish net that I may get to catch the shrimps. Will lay some food inside to try and lure them in. Wonder if they will be lured.
 #2896  by opae ula related

Like Odin said, they are hyper aware of everything. Unless you have nothing in the tank using a net will work with many tries. They are just so elusive, you will see when you try.

Yes, just tubing. Just create suction by holding one end with thumb and release to suck up the water. Hold again on thumb to hold water. I am sure you did this before as a kid.
 #2901  by odin

If you do use a net be sure to hold your hand over the the nets opening as they can jump out when moving them around in the net its self! I have found one on the desk before that jumped out and he had dried out. :dead: :cry:
 #2904  by opae ula related

Speaking of dried out, I now recall smashing one when trying to net it against the glass. The outer edge of the net smashed it. Low odds but it happened. :( it became fresh dwarf hermit crab food. :/
 #2920  by Edwid

O dear. Thanks for sharing those experiences and hopefully none of that happen to me.

What's the max population an 8 litre tank such as mine can accommodate? Or what's a good population that can still encourage breeding?
 #2921  by odin

I would have 10 shrimp, then see how you get on. If you have too many they won't breed too well.
 #2925  by Edwid

Wow. How about like 20 or 40? Will an 8 litre tank be able to support this amount? Or how about even 100? Just wondering if any of you have tried what's the maximum per litre (for example) while they continue to be healthy and breeding.
Last edited by Edwid on 30 Mar 2017 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
 #2927  by opae ula related

Edwid wrote:Wow. How about like 20 or 40? Will an 8 litre tank be able to support this amount? Or how about even 100? Just wondering if any of you have tried what's the maximum any have tried per litre (for example) while they continue to be healthy and breeding.
Try counting the number in this 5 gallon tank from this youtuber.