Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4545  by Munchkinmama

Hi,
I'm trying to do as much research as I can before buying my shrimp. I am planning on buying a 7l nano tank which comes with a light and keeping it in our sitting room which is always nice and warm. Do I still need a heater in the tank as some websites say no some yes. I've always kept tropical fish in the past and never brackish tanks and am a bit nervous about getting the mix right. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Alexandra
 #4546  by odin

Welcome to our forum @Munchkinmama !

Its always interesting to see some people use heaters and others don't, i have to use heaters where i live in the UK as its just too cold for the Opae ula shrimp. What sort of temps do you get in your home and what country/state do you live in just to give us an indicator. These shrimp will tolerate a large window in temperature so you may not even need a heater.
 #4551  by odin

You may just get away with that temperature then, i wouldn't want to keep them in anything lower then 18 deg C my self but they could probably survive in waters slightly colder then that. i say try it and see how you get on :smile:
 #4552  by Munchkinmama

Thank you. I'll wait until this weather passes and pop to my local fish store and have a shop around. The Hollybush at Shares hill has a wide range of tanks and accessories.
 #4553  by odin

Sounds good, dont get pulled into buying pumps and filters as you won’t need them and will just end up costing you money you don’t need to spend. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4567  by Artemis

I keep a jar without a heater in England. They live in my office which is a fairly constant 20 C. This is fine for them but I think they develop and grow faster at slightly higher temperatures. My pregnant shrimp have a gestation time of 2 months and the larvae don't metamorphose for a month. The juveniles that hatched over 5 months ago are still much smaller than the adults.

That said, they are lovely and red and reproduction is happening so you should be fine.