Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4758  by Rey

Good morning.
I have a 5 gallon tank with aragonite sand, lava racks, Marimo moss, 1.010 - 1.015 and a very small power head that I stuffed with floss to lower the flow. Temp is at 62 to 65 °f. It's sat for 4 weeks with no shrimp and water test great to cycle. I added 100 shrimps that I hardly see :smile: which is fine. I see a lot of moults. It's been 3 weeks with shirmps in it. But my issue is I started getting red slime algae. I need some advice on how to deal with it.

Thanks
Rey
 #4759  by odin

Welcome to our Opae ula forum @Rey , do you have a photo of your tank? What water did you use in your tank before you added the salt... RO, distilled, bottled or tap water etc? Have you thought about getting some Nerite snails to eat the slime? Was your sand just normal sand or live sand?
 #4760  by Rey

Thank you for the welcome . I will take a picture later when I get home. It was just tap water when I started the tank and I fill it with spring water for evaporation. It was started with washed dry aragonite sand and washed landscape lava rocks that's pilled up to one side of the tank. No other animals in there yet but the shrimp. I will add some soon. I just didn't want to add more coz i added so many shrimp at once. Well i thought it was alot until i never really see them anyways. Lol. Water still test ok. I have a led 6000k outdoor spot light on it. I haven't turned it on for a few days. Just receiving ambient light.
 #4761  by Rey

The aragonite sand is white. I am thinking of adding a darker substrate. Maybe that will help my opea to get more color. I've seeing clear to light pink. I haven't seen really red.
 #4763  by opae ula related

Rey wrote:The aragonite sand is white. I am thinking of adding a darker substrate. Maybe that will help my opea to get more color. I've seeing clear to light pink. I haven't seen really red.
Welcome Rey. You mentioned floss? Not sure if a good idea since they put wax, ingredients to give it flavour etc.
 #4764  by opae ula related

Also warm up the water to make them happy. 62 kinda cold in my opinion.
 #4766  by Rey

Floss. Filter floss. It's a synthetic fiber. I use it to cover up the intake of my little power head so that the shrimps won't get blasted around. My tank is in the basement and it's around 62 to 65. I will look into putting a heater in the tank. The temp in my basement goes up around 68 to 72 in the summer time.
 #4768  by odin

Have you ever seen the shrimps a deep red colour? Maybe they are just naturally light in colour. If they stay hidden and are pale your water quality isnt right.
 #4769  by opae ula related

Rey wrote:Floss. Filter floss. It's a synthetic fiber. I use it to cover up the intake of my little power head so that the shrimps won't get blasted around. My tank is in the basement and it's around 62 to 65. I will look into putting a heater in the tank. The temp in my basement goes up around 68 to 72 in the summer time.
Got it. ;)
 #4798  by Rey

Odin. They are a bit more active now and they are turning more red. I still have some white and clear ones. What is still testing good. I should be receiving some nerite and cerith snails from the mail tomorrow. Hope it helps with my cyno problem.

Is there a way to post pictures here just using my phone and not going through another site like photobucket?