Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5505  by Algae In Space

Vorteil: That's exactly the point and the reason why reached out in the first place :smile: It wasn't crystal clear but greenish. Now it's a little nebulous. Just a bit.

Do you have a film on the water surface? Why is your water so crystal clear? Any advice?
I guess the question is: How can the tank (stones, lava, ...) be full of algae with a crystal clear water :what: I couldn't figure this one out yet.

Check it out: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=5502#p5502
 #5537  by Vorteil

The opae produce very little waste. I believe Odin had mentioned this. When I did feed it was spirulina. That does not foul the water and it was eaten up within 20 minutes or so. I do have surface film since I do not have a filter or air in the tanks. Every so often I'll throw an airline in at the top of the water's surface to clear it up.
 #5542  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 26 Oct 2018 01:10 The opae produce very little waste. I believe Odin had mentioned this. When I did feed it was spirulina. That does not foul the water and it was eaten up within 20 minutes or so. I do have surface film since I do not have a filter or air in the tanks. Every so often I'll throw an airline in at the top of the water's surface to clear it up.

I see. When I filter the filter gets brownish an/or greenish. So would this be foul water besides the algae??? I always wondered what the brown stuff really is. Bacteria I thought.

What's an airline? I suppose you don't throw in a plane with all it's crew onboard! :laugh: Is it a towel of sorts? I do that with a paper towel sometimes. I works so-so.
 #5551  by odin

Its a air pump connected to a airstone, it blows many bubbles that give the tank extra oxygen by agitating the waters surface via gas exchange.