Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7317  by potion123456

This is the current state after i dosed excel 2 days ago. Algae has turned green and ammonia has increased unfortunately to about 0.1

My nerite dropped dead yesterday and i tried to revive it by putting in my other tank but its probably dead for reals. Feels really bad. Im setting up my new globe tank soon hopefully they can live till its done otherwise im going to have to get new stock again. Are there any temporary housing methods to temporarily safekeep the shrimps while i clean up the tank?ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#7318  by odin

You could just use a large glass with some fresh brackish water in it for temporarily holding.
 #7319  by opae ula related

Wow, they turned green so quickly. That is a really nice globe tank! How many gallons? So there is an opening in the bottom middle?
 #7329  by potion123456

Its about 2.5 gallons!
I drilled a hole in the base in the center for an one way valve for an undergravel filter.
I have some sketches and of the tank that i plan to create.ImageImageImageImageImage

#7330  by opae ula related

Will it potential leak when the tube wears down? Maybe not. Nice idea if it doesn’t leak. Up to you for the filter but not necessary for Opae ula. Looking forward to see final pics.
 #7333  by tzg

potion123456 wrote: 07 May 2019 20:05 This is the current state after i dosed excel 2 days ago. Algae has turned green and ammonia has increased unfortunately to about 0.1

My nerite dropped dead yesterday and i tried to revive it by putting in my other tank but its probably dead for reals. Feels really bad. Im setting up my new globe tank soon hopefully they can live till its done otherwise im going to have to get new stock again. Are there any temporary housing methods to temporarily safekeep the shrimps while i clean up the tank?ImageImageImageImageImage

i learnt my lesson too, before adding any new chemical, it is better to save some old water and rock in a container so the shrimps still have matured water rock to live in if anything bad happens. it will take about 1-2 weeks to cycle a small tank.
 #7334  by Algae In Space

tzg wrote: 08 May 2019 17:54
Algae In Space wrote: 06 May 2019 12:45 Chlorine in a product for aquatic animals!!?? WTF
yes you can see what it contains at the product link below under ingredients
https://www.seachem.com/flourish.php

Oh... But I somehow doubt it's a harmful variant. I guess the chlorine comes as chloride (fertilizer). Am no chemist but I think it's ok. Speaking of compounds and so on.

But maybe not use it if you want to be 100% safe.
 #7345  by Vorteil

Adding flourish fed the algae. Flourish is for freshwater but probably the iron in it turned your algae green. I would still consider making a fresh start.
 #7412  by odin

I'd skip the filter to be honest :smile: