Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7475  by Beano

Rex113 wrote: 23 May 2019 15:04 Sorry to hear about your tank crashing Beano. I read all of your old posts and was hoping you would be able to successfully raise some young metabetaeus lohena. It sounds as if you have been busy with life, but I hope you can find the time to locate some more of these shrimp and keep on trying.....Good luck
Thanks Rex,
To keep the breeding experiment going, one needs to be home and have the time to observe and try different approaches. I did my experiments over a dozen times, every time a lohena berried, I looked at the belly carefully after 2.5 weeks and did the transfer to the breeder tank . Then when the larva came out, transferred them to the high saline tank....and tried different food types. I was hoping others in this forum had more success.
 #7476  by Beano

Rex113 wrote: 23 May 2019 15:04 Sorry to hear about your tank crashing Beano. I read all of your old posts and was hoping you would be able to successfully raise some young metabetaeus lohena. It sounds as if you have been busy with life, but I hope you can find the time to locate some more of these shrimp and keep on trying.....Good luck

Have you managed to get any larva?
 #7477  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 23 May 2019 15:24
Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 22 May 2019 18:59

Ouch, so you have 3 left? If you didn’t know, I was able to record a ML larva.
Yeah down to 3. Did your larva survive?
Nope :(

Btw, as I just posted in other post, the adult is pinching something really small and eating them. Could be something that larva eat?
Sorry, which other post? The adults eat all kinds of stuff.....live and dead. The larva seem more fussy unlike the opaeula larva. The lohena larva are attracted to light. I read that larvae attracted to light are potentially eating micro algae because algae tend to grow more where light is. But I tried live phytoplankton and also hobby microcell....didn’t work
 #7478  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 23 May 2019 15:24
Beano wrote: Yeah down to 3. Did your larva survive?
Nope :(

Btw, as I just posted in other post, the adult is pinching something really small and eating them. Could be something that larva eat?
Sorry, which other post? The adults eat all kinds of stuff.....live and dead. The larva seem more fussy unlike the opaeula larva. The lohena larva are attracted to light. I read that larvae attracted to light are potentially eating micro algae because algae tend to grow more where light is. But I tried live phytoplankton and also hobby microcell....didn’t work
This video.

Jump to the 1min mark here as you can see her filter feed. I now believe the larva filter feeds to survive. Yeah, micro algae and other micro organisms in the ocean water. You tried ocean water, did you add a lot of the water?
 #7482  by Beano

[/quote]
Jump to the 1min mark here as you can see her filter feed. I now believe the larva filter feeds to survive. Yeah, micro algae and other micro organisms in the ocean water. You tried ocean water, did you add a lot of the water?[/quote]

When I tried ocean water which I didn’t dilute, All the larva died within 2 days. Another reason I didn’t continue using ocean water is The waters around Singapore aren’t exactly pristine as this is one of the busiest shipping areas in the world.
 #7483  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 23 May 2019 19:14 While googling hobby microcell, I saw Triops rearing food which I thought was interesting.
Found this video of someone feeding with this product.
Looks a little like brine shrimp. The adult lohena will turn into a hunting predator when transferring live brine shrimp. Quite fun to watch : :lol:
 #7485  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 23 May 2019 19:14 While googling hobby microcell, I saw Triops rearing food which I thought was interesting.
Found this video of someone feeding with this product.
Looks a little like brine shrimp. The adult lohena will turn into a hunting predator when transferring live brine shrimp. Quite fun to watch : :lol:

Need to see this myself. ;)