Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7368  by opae ula related

Where do you read ML was endangered? The Anchialine book list the species that are endangered and the Procaris Hawaiana shrimp is listed as endangered after the book was published.
 #7369  by Algae In Space

This here may suggest it:

"Three of the six species of anchialine pool shrimp are candidates for listing as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act. These include Metabetaeus lohena, Procaris hawaiana, and Palaemonella burnsi," said Lorena Wada, candidate conservation coordinator for the Fish and Wildlife Service in the Pacific Islands.

www.fws.gov

(Strangely I can't find Halocaridina rubra there. I thought it must be there.)
 #7370  by Vorteil

@Algae In Space

I would not. I think there hasn't been enough research done on these opae. I feel there's a lot of pools out there but only accessable by boat or not at all due to the rough terrain. If these opae were becoming endangered I'm sure Hawaii would do something about it.
 #7371  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:This here may suggest it:

"Three of the six species of anchialine pool shrimp are candidates for listing as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act. These include Metabetaeus lohena, Procaris hawaiana, and Palaemonella burnsi," said Lorena Wada, candidate conservation coordinator for the Fish and Wildlife Service in the Pacific Islands.

www.fws.gov

(Strangely I can't find Halocaridina rubra there. I thought it must be there.)
Ok that was from 2008. I think we had a topic on this previously.
Procaris hawaiana was listed in 2016 as endangered. Do you happen to have the book handy to list it here for reference the ones that are endangered. Cant find my copy at the moment.
 #7372  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 13 May 2019 18:07 @Algae In Space

I would not. I think there hasn't been enough research done on these opae. I feel there's a lot of pools out there but only accessable by boat or not at all due to the rough terrain. If these opae were becoming endangered I'm sure Hawaii would do something about it.

Ok let's hope so!
 #7390  by Algae In Space

Excerpt from

Anchialine Ponds
Anchialine Pond Shrimps

Hawaii's Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy

THREATS:
Habitat destruction has reduced available habitat for anchialine pond shrimps. On the island of Hawaii much development has occurred in the major area for anchialine pools between Kawaihae and Kailua-Kona leading to the filling in of many pools. A monitoring system was set up at Waikaloa to assess the impacts of development there;
Hawaii's Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy 8/18/2005
A number of introduced species may compete with them for food or prey on them. Introduced fishes (Tilapia, koi, mosquitofish and guppies) and Tahitian prawns are a major predatory threat and alter the habitat use of remaining shrimp. Over 90 percent of the anchialine ponds in the Kona coast of Hawaii are contaminated with non-native species. The presence of introduced fishes leads the shrimps to retreat into crevices in the substrate. As a result the ponds become overgrown with algae, leading to greatly accelerated debris accumulation and decay of the ponds, suggesting Opae Ula is a keystone species;
Pollution of pools by refuse and human use of the water;
Anchialine pools themselves may thus serve as conduits for pollutants and predatory
impacts to the underground areas that may be the primary habitat of these species;
Collectors taking Opae Ula to sell for aquarium use or fish feed threaten some ponds.

CONSERVATION ACTIONS:
The goals of conservation actions are to not only protect current populations, but to also establish further populations to reduce the risk of extinction. In addition to common state-wide and island conservation actions, specific actions include: Fencing the pools in 'Ahihi Kina'u NAR NAR, and possibly elsewhere; Educating people to the value of, threats to and conservation actions to protect the ponds; Restoration of habitat by removal of introduced species; Creation of man-made pools should be explored; Maintain healthy populations with appropriate fishing regulations and education; Closure and rerouting of a portion of the road adjacent to 49 pools in Manuka NAR has been proposed.