Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7529  by Rex113

I have had my M/L for about two months now and just spotted a female with eggs this morning. I believe that they must be happy in their new home. I have another container that is already cycled and I am trying to get the mother into it. Problem is that I tried removing her for the transfer and she hides behind a large piece of lava rock that is secured to the glass with silicone. Any ideas how to get her out without causing her to stress out and possibly dropping all of her eggs prematurely?
 #7533  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:I have had my M/L for about two months now and just spotted a female with eggs this morning. I believe that they must be happy in their new home. I have another container that is already cycled and I am trying to get the mother into it. Problem is that I tried removing her for the transfer and she hides behind a large piece of lava rock that is secured to the glass with silicone. Any ideas how to get her out without causing her to stress out and possibly dropping all of her eggs prematurely?
I wait until she comes out to the glass area and net her. Interesting to hear of other ways.
 #7534  by Rex113

I have tried leaving the net in the tank but these shrimp sense that something is up. I watched a video on YouTube about the clear glass shrimp catcher and I think I will order one. I’ll keep you guys updated.
 #7535  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:I have tried leaving the net in the tank but these shrimp sense that something is up. I watched a video on YouTube about the clear glass shrimp catcher and I think I will order one. I’ll keep you guys updated.
I dont leave the net in the tank. I dont think that catcher works for ML but I could be wrong.
 #7537  by Algae In Space

Rex113 wrote: 02 Jun 2019 00:55 I have tried leaving the net in the tank but these shrimp sense that something is up. I watched a video on YouTube about the clear glass shrimp catcher and I think I will order one. I’ll keep you guys updated.

It requires a little practise but is great for shrimp as they stay in the water all the time and they often don't see the glass coming. Just make sure you put it in with your finger on the glass tube to seal it. I always submerge the “catcher“ part and then seal the tube to leave air in the “handle“ part then lower it into the tank next to the Opae let go and wooosh the Opae is sucked into the pipe. It's pretty simple but difficult to explain.
 #7538  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
Rex113 wrote: 02 Jun 2019 00:55 I have tried leaving the net in the tank but these shrimp sense that something is up. I watched a video on YouTube about the clear glass shrimp catcher and I think I will order one. I’ll keep you guys updated.

It requires a little practise but is great for shrimp as they stay in the water all the time and they often don't see the glass coming. Just make sure you put it in with your finger on the glass tube to seal it. I always submerge the “catcher“ part and then seal the tube to leave air in the “handle“ part then lower it into the tank next to the Opae let go and wooosh the Opae is sucked into the pipe. It's pretty simple but difficult to explain.
AIG, you need to video this! : )
 #7539  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 02 Jun 2019 14:53
Algae In Space wrote:

AIG, you need to video this! : )

Ok I'll try! I searched on youtube but they are doing it all wrong :what: They are using it like a regular net. One can do that but the cool thing about the glass pipe is the sucking in part :smile: