Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7547  by odin

I net mine, have to be fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7548  by Rex113

Vorteil wrote: 04 Jun 2019 21:56 Those ML are pretty quick. Constantly moving around. Are you ready to try to raise the babies?
Yes, I plan on keeping half the babies in brackish water and the other half in salt water from my reef tank. I’m not sure of what I will feed them yet.
 #7555  by Rex113

Vorteil wrote: 05 Jun 2019 21:26 I think the success is in the food and raising in salt water.
Your right from the posts I read the larvae seemed to live the longest in full saltwater if I’m not mistaken. I have one of those plastic guppy breeding boxes,when the babies are born they fall through tiny openings in the bottom. I would hang it on the inside of my reef tank. I would have to slowly acclimate the berried female so as not to shock her.
 #7557  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:
Vorteil wrote: 05 Jun 2019 21:26 I think the success is in the food and raising in salt water.
Your right from the posts I read the larvae seemed to live the longest in full saltwater if I’m not mistaken. I have one of those plastic guppy breeding boxes,when the babies are born they fall through tiny openings in the bottom. I would hang it on the inside of my reef tank. I would have to slowly acclimate the berried female so as not to shock her.
What other fish you have on the reef tank? Will they eat the larvae?
 #7559  by Rex113

The guppy enclosure has a sealed off area at the bottom so the larvae would be safe from the reef tank fish. I have a couple of cleaner shrimp in the tank that have hundreds of babies at a time, and the fish eat them within minutes.
 #7560  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:The guppy enclosure has a sealed off area at the bottom so the larvae would be safe from the reef tank fish. I have a couple of cleaner shrimp in the tank that have hundreds of babies at a time, and the fish eat them within minutes.
Oh wow.

This is only if the larvae moves down. There are opening on top right?
 #7561  by Rex113

The enclosure has a lid on top to prevent any predators from entering. I will remove the mother from the enclosure after she releases the larvae, this way they are safe to swim around without the threat of being eaten.
 #7564  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:The enclosure has a lid on top to prevent any predators from entering. I will remove the mother from the enclosure after she releases the larvae, this way they are safe to swim around without the threat of being eaten.
Dont know about yours, my enclosure has small openings that the larva can escape.