Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8050  by Owlbit

That you can't have just one opae ula tank? I have such a craving for another, but I just got my shrimps a week ago. How do you resist (if you even do :lol: ) the urge to set a new tank/jar up?

After setting up your first jar/tank, how long did it take before you set up another one and got more? Or do people actually wait until their colony gets big enough that they can split it?
 #8051  by Algae In Space

Easy! If you don't have the space for it you won't get a second tank :smile:

I had to move my Opae to a new tank because my first one was a rookie project :grin3:

But if I would have the space for it I would connect two tanks like this:

or

#8054  by Owlbit

Algae In Space wrote: 20 Jul 2019 00:25 Easy! If you don't have the space for it you won't get a second tank :smile:

I had to move my Opae to a new tank because my first one was a rookie project :grin3:

But if I would have the space for it I would connect two tanks like this:

or

:blush: I already considered that idea. It is fascinating, but I wouldn't trust that during an earthquake.
 #8063  by opae ula related

Owlbit wrote:
Algae In Space wrote: 20 Jul 2019 02:22 Understandable!

Check out this bad boy :sidesmile:

:what: Looks like it was for a hamster. LOL :lol:
Ha, can be use to experiment. Each one having a different temperature and testing which one they prefer..
 #8072  by Vorteil

You cannot have just one tank. Totally impossible.

You will come to a realization that there's something special about the opae ula like you have already. The desperation will start to set in on how to get or start another tank. I started with one like everyone else. My wife warned me not to add more tanks. That it always starts with one and before you know it there's too many. I just try to tell her the garage is my area. Same thing as my jars. Started with one and ended up with two. She saw the second one & throught WTF? No way can I add a 3rd but I have one ready. I'm trying to add a second rack in the garage. Granted a total of 6 tanks are for opae ula. The rest is for freshwater shimps that I'm experimenting with. An opae tank or jar is simple. No air, heater, feeding , filtration, or even light if you have an alternative source such as natural light. Once you set up your 2nd one it's all uphill from there.
IMG_6124.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG (54.91 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
Rack2.JPG
Rack2.JPG (52.76 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
 #8074  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 22 Jul 2019 17:23 You cannot have just one tank. Totally impossible.

You will come to a realization that there's something special about the opae ula like you have already. The desperation will start to set in on how to get or start another tank. I started with one like everyone else. My wife warned me not to add more tanks. That it always starts with one and before you know it there's too many. I just try to tell her the garage is my area. Same thing as my jars. Started with one and ended up with two. She saw the second one & throught WTF? No way can I add a 3rd but I have one ready. I'm trying to add a second rack in the garage. Granted a total of 6 tanks are for opae ula. The rest is for freshwater shimps that I'm experimenting with. An opae tank or jar is simple. No air, heater, feeding , filtration, or even light if you have an alternative source such as natural light. Once you set up your 2nd one it's all uphill from there.
IMG_6124.JPGRack2.JPG

Right you are brother Vorteil! Spread the evangelical truth for our fellow believers!

Welcome to the fraternal order "Ordo Sancti Opaeulai" frater Owlbit!