Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #608  by odin

opae ula related wrote:Now the $100 question, is what kind of shrimp is it?
It could be one of these shrimp? 'Palaemonella burnsi'

See the 2nd shrimp down on the pdf below, could be wrong but it looks similar on my phone screen :smile:

https://www.auburn.edu/~santosr/pdf/anc ... 041608.pdf

Palaemonella burnsi is a small anchialine shrimp ranging from 0.2 to 0.3 inches in size.

Distribution: This species is found only on the islands of Maui and Hawai‘i and is transparent, grayish-green to red in color. The shrimp is likely omnivorous and feeds upon algae and detritus. Known from only 3 pools on the island of Maui and one pool on Hawai‘i. This species is known to occur in high salinity anchialine pools.

Population: Undetermined
 #631  by odin

opae ula related wrote:It does look like it though. Maybe the report was wrong and only observe the babies/young ones.
This guys video at 1:09 onwards has a large greenish shrimp that is similar with his Opae ula and alphas which comes in from the right.

and here which shows it better, its in the middle on the rocks.

#660  by odin

opae ula related wrote:Odin,
Also from the book, the shrimp we were wondering about is either Opae Huna or Opae Oehaa. Wow, more shrimp species!!!
Thats really cool, now we know the name all we need to do is track some down. :smile: