Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9082  by Pikashel

I purchased about a cup of marine chaeto before I knew that it was meant for full salinity aquariums. Can I acclimate them to brackish water? I mean I already have a cup of it and I’m testing it now. But wondering if anyone has done it successfully and have any tips? :hmm:
 #9088  by Pikashel

Vorteil wrote: 19 May 2020 06:34 I don't think so. The marine chaeto will break up after a week or so & mess you tank up. I tried.
:blink: That stinks. I just put them in small containers to test with MTS, not my main tanks. I don’t have a marine aquarium so I’ve got nothing else to do with them :dead:
 #9099  by Opaelover

Chaeto will do fine, I have been housing them in opae tank for many years, sometimes when you port them to new tank/location they will disintegrate/breakdown into smaller lump but they will regrowth.
Refer to my picture, this tank was setup on 25 March 2020 with around 15 opae shrimp, today is 23 May 2020, almost 2 month passed, in between I added some rock and changed the layout, now opae already start to reproduce with few berried shrimp spotted, the chaeto algae is still growing strong, it didnt growth much cos I hardly on the light, only once awhile maybe like 2 to 3 time per week for 1 or 2 hrs or less.
ImageImage

Sent from my LIO-L29 using Tapatalk

#9102  by Opaelover

Pikashel wrote:Glad to see you were able to do it successfully! I have some in a small container right now so we’ll see what happens
Chaeto is easy, sometimes even hard to totally remove them once they establish as they will cling on all surface and will regrowth with few threads left, I have some success with other macro algae too.

Sent from my LIO-L29 using Tapatalk