Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #747  by odin

I purchased 5 of these snails from ebay and they should be with me in a day or 2, they are Nerites that have come from a freshwater tank but im hoping they are hardy enough to go strait into a brackish tank. Im thinking of putting them in my Tank #04 which has no shrimp in yet (the one with the lava rock) just as a precaution rather then putting them strait into a tank full of shrimp.

Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262478737598? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I went for these as they are alot bigger then the 3 zebra thorn nerites i have, they don't seem to be hitting the algae on the tank walls as fast as i thought they would, calling in the cavalry :smile: :smile:
Attachments:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (33.85 KiB) Viewed 9667 times
 #762  by odin

Well the 5 snails came today but they didn't look very good to say the least, ive put them in my hatchery tank inside my tropical tank when i got in from work and 4 have started coming to life, one is still not moving so i don't know if that one made it :cry:

I've dropped a algae pad in for them to eat so when they have gained their strength over a few days i will start to put them in a separate tank and start adding salt to gently introduce them to brackish water, they only reproduce in brackish water so im sure they will be fine.
Attachments:
Photo 21-06-2016, 18 58 36.jpg
Photo 21-06-2016, 18 58 36.jpg (141.06 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
 #773  by odin

just an update, woke up for work this morning and all 5 are alive and kicking! I'm going to give them until this weekend then i will start to add salt to a tank with them in slowly to acclimatise them back to brackish water.

Here is a quick photo, the 5th snail was on the cubes roof out of shot :happy:
Attachments:
Photo 22-06-2016, 16 51 18.jpg
Photo 22-06-2016, 16 51 18.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 9587 times
 #840  by odin

I put all 5 snails in one of my brackish tanks last night, the reason for the haste was one had stopping moving in the fresh water tank they were previously in. Hopefully they will all survive the change over. :ow:
 #841  by odin

One still isnt moving :(
Attachments:
Photo 29-06-2016, 19 24 55.jpg
Photo 29-06-2016, 19 24 55.jpg (226.93 KiB) Viewed 9567 times
 #842  by Ann

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sending good thoughts that all of your little babies will make it.
Ann
 #956  by odin

I purchased another 4 Zerba nerites from the local pet store today, the 3 small cube tanks i have are starting to get heavy algae so these guys will be split of those :)
The guy in the shop said to be careful putting them in freshwater because they will breed and over populate :what: