Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6931  by Algae In Space

I am sure they are fine. I've received shippings where they were totally in stasis and started moving when the water got warmer.

The water temperature is a problem for me too in the winter months... My flat is heated 100% electrically. So when the circuit breaker kicks in for some reason or there is a power outage everything will get cold when I am away. What a drag... in this case even an email gadget won't help...
 #6935  by QDanT

trip into town this morning to buy a new heater, I took the old one to show them and even though I didn't have the receipt they remembered me setting up and gave me a new one saying they were guaranteed 2 years and they'd send the old one back
01.jpg
01.jpg (209.83 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
there's more Shrimp about today but they're certainly paler
02.jpg
02.jpg (101.14 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
could only see 1 floater
03.jpg
03.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
but there were 2 groups of juveniles feeding on the glass
04.jpg
04.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (80.54 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
07.jpg
07.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
 #6936  by opae ula related

QDanT wrote:Disaster :upset:
after a Sunday lie in I looked in at the Shrimps 10:00, couldn't see any ! checked the thermometer 58*F (14.5C)
the heater neon wasn't on, the lights (on a timer) were on, both on same plug block so there was power
quick thinking I warmed 250 ml of tank water up and added it back to the tank x4 times
03.jpg
this brought the temperature to 64*F (17.5C) at 10:30, checked the heater fuze OK so pulled it apart
01.jpg
02.jpg
it was bought new 10-2-18
Marina 50w.jpg
when I set the downstairs 75 gallon freshwater Shrimp tank up I'd taken x2 300w heaters out and swapped them for a new 250w heater I got these out and put plugs on then, put them in the upstairs Shrimp tank
10:30 - 54*F, 11:00 - 66*F, 11:30 - 70*F, 13:30 - 74*F
a Few Shrimps began to apear but they were all pale then some of the tank juviniles gathered on the tank side by the light where they usually feed
Lucky you, it could of been worst. A friend came home with the lights not working and burnt smell throughout the house. He found his heater in his Opae Ula tank exploded and turned the water brown. Lucky it didnt cause a fire and he was able to net the shrimp out.
It was also a Marina brand betta heater.

Lesson is to pay a little more for a quality heater.
 #6937  by QDanT

opae ula related wrote: Lucky you, it could of been worst. A friend came home with the lights not working and burnt smell throughout the house. He found his heater in his Opae Ula tank exploded and turned the water brown. Lucky it didnt cause a fire and he was able to net the shrimp out.
It was also a Marina brand betta heater.
Lesson is to pay a little more for a quality heater.
thanks for the reply, lucky indeed at least it failed off and not stuck on ! and the Shrimp seem to be recovering
 #6941  by odin

At least the store gave you a free one! I keep spare heaters in stock incase this ever happens. They will come back to red in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7551  by QDanT

Not posted for a while, been in and out of hospital a couple of times and a big op. coming up in July :upset:
Good job the Shrimp can look after themselves :smile: lights on a timer and heater on a stat. - left a demi-john of RO water and a felt tip line on the tank with instructions for the wife to keep it topped up once a week. When I came home the last time there'd been a Shrimp explosion
Floaters, Juveniles, Adults and still loads of Berried females to such an extent there wasn't much Algae left growing :oh: so I took the horned Nerite out and put it in the downstairs 75 gal. Amano tank and started feeding a small pinch of Spirulina. They swarm to the top as I take the glass cover off and it doesn't last long the Agae has started to grow again, at this rate I can see the 75 gal. downstairs tank being converted for the Opae :what:
Attachments:
02.jpg
02.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (113.34 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (195.24 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
 #7553  by Vorteil

@QDanT
Now that's what I wnat to see. A 75G of Opae Ula!

That's the great thing about Opae Ula. The simple care. Just set it & almost forget it. Top off the water & enjoy. You could even set up an automated top off.
 #7558  by opae ula related

Nice. Good luck in July. Trying to imagine millions of them in that tank.
 #8057  by QDanT

opae ula related wrote: 05 Jun 2019 23:56 Nice. Good luck in July. Trying to imagine millions of them in that tank.
Thanks opae ula related back home and feeling better :smile:
Still feeding a 'match head' of Spirulina every day and though they might all be browsing on the Algae which is growing back on the tank walls it's like ringing a dinner bell as soon as it's in they swarm up to the top !
01.jpg
01.jpg (129.41 KiB) Viewed 8254 times
I'll wait till there's a good covering then clean the front tank glass, to take better photo's
 #8059  by opae ula related

Sounds like everything went well. Any wisdom?

Opae ula, nice way to count how many you have if they all come out to feed! :)