Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7074  by zlatan2601

Just an update as it has been a while. Shrimps are doing fine, but the diatoms (brown algae) are really annoying. I have two options: leaving the tank so all glass gets covered with the ugly diatoms (and i dont see any shrimp), or cleaning the glass and disturbing the shrimp so they become pale and hidden for 5 days.

Below you can see a picture of one of the full grown opae ula. Unfortunately no berried shrimps het, but guess this would be too soon (shrimp introduced kn the tank in january)
IMG_20190410_201205~2.jpg
IMG_20190410_201205~2.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 26028 times
 #7678  by zlatan2601

Hi all,
Update concerning my opae ula. After the brown algae overgrowth (i think it was cyanobacteria) i started a new tank and transfered all rocks after cooking and thoroughly cleaning them. I also transfered the opae ula afterwards. I am afraid I lost two opae in the process (or they died before) as I have only 8 opae ula left.

Now after chatting with another opae ula owner, he adviced me to test the big white rock in my tank with vinegar and bubbles were formed. I assume that this is not good so i left it out of the tank. I never tested the rock before as it was bought in a well known aquarium store and we assuledthat it was also a vulcanic rock. However I am now wondering if I should restart my tank again. The tank was 2 weeks old, so the rock has been in there for 2 weeks.
Is it ok to leave it now or is a new tank needed?

Fyi, i have bought five snails in the mean time but these are not in the new tank yet, as there is no visible algae growth yet. They are currently still in the old tank, where there are more than enough algae :)
 #7680  by odin

The white rock is fine in your Opae ula tank and should react to vinegar, this shows it will buffer the water and stop is becoming too acidic which is what we want. Fresh water shrimp owners cannot use this type of rock.
 #7773  by zlatan2601

Hi all!
After moving the opae ula 3-4 weeks ago (because of cyanobacteria) to a new tank, I did not spot any algae yet, but the opae ula are going crazy this evening! Haven't see this before, haven't seen any berried shrimp eitjer.

Is this a good sign? Are they mating?

Link to video:
 #7776  by odin

Yup looks like normal happy shrimp to me! :laugh:
 #7790  by zlatan2601

Just normal happy shrimp, or happy male shrimp going crazy because of the feromones of a hot and sexy female shrimp ready to breed?

Because my shrimp swim from time to time, but this time they (2 of them) were swimming like crazy for several hours. And I've read somewhere that this can mean that a female shrimp is ready to mate and that's why the male smell this and go crazy :)
 #7822  by odin

That is true, once a female has moulted she gets the attention of the males and you can see them darting about in circles in the open and jumping around the rocks looking for her to mate with. Fingers crossed for you!