Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7777  by odin

Lots of air bubbles going on there! Do the tanks get alot of light?
 #8062  by thecollector

Good news...

Tank 2 has a berried female.
No picture as the algae on the tank walls make it difficult to take a clear picture. I could clean the algae off, but I don't want to disturb the Opae in tank 2 as they are well behind the other two tanks. Even though it was setup before tank 3.

Tank 1:
Odin's lot just keep having more and more babies.
The tank does not make any sense.
The walls of tank 2 and 3 are covered in green algae. Tank 1 has none, just some dark diatoms on mostly one side.
The main difference is the large rock pile and lots of biohome filter media

Tank 3:
This morning there was a lot of movement, almost like a stamped. Normally the Opae in tank 3 just spend their time on the rocks. But before a female becomes berried, Nearly all the Opae start charging about all over the place.

The baby jar:
Early this week I decided to pour out most of the Opae in the round jar, into a new cube that I had setup almost 2 months ago. I had put 3 Horned Nerite Snails in the new tank and some colonised filter media to cycle the new tank and keep it going until I needed it.

2 Opae managed to stay behind in the round jar, which I don't mind as it's useful to keep the jar cycled while I wait on the new babies to drop.

I'm hoping for more Opae with colour in them, as nearly all of the babies so far have grown up mostly white with only a hint of red.
 #8065  by odin

Thanks for the update, my Opae ula seem to breed like rats :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8378  by thecollector

Mainly doing this update for me, so that I can keep track of the baby progress...

Only thing of note is that tank 2 has had more babies since the last lot (a couple of months or so ago). Most look to have gone from the floating stage to tiny shrimp stage. Last time I only counted 3 babies in total, this time I definitely saw more than 5.

I wish I could take pictures, but I'm concerned that cleaning the front of the tank would cause problems for the Opae, as they are very slow at breading and I've had them longer than the ones in tank 3.

With tank 3, I've started off with 13 Opae and am now at about 40, the increase has been just this year.
 #8696  by thecollector

So it seams that the Opae in tanks 2 and 3 have caught the “breeding like rats” syndrome that odin's lot have been afflicted with for a while now.

My jumbo Opae in tank 3 and the second offspring tank are on the verge of a population explosion. Tank 3 has, at last count 6 berried females. The offspring tank, as of 1am this morning, has it's first berried female. The small jar is holding 10 Opae that were babies not that long ago and are ready for a transfer to the offspring tank.

I was in the process of upgrading the offspring tank from a small 15cm cube to a 1.5 gallon biscotti jar (found them for a very good price).

The amount of distilled water I can produce limits me a bit. Plus when I go away for a while, I move the tanks to a different part of the house, where it's more suited for the Opae, when they'll be alone. So the tanks need to be easy to move.

It's an interesting situation to be in.

In tank 3 I have the import generation with some offspring, but in the offspring tank I have first generation offspring (from the import generation, possibly wild caught), with 1 female thats berried with second generation offspring - I think they'd be called F2.

Might be an interesting experiment, to separate the F2 offspring and keep them in a tank (1.5 gallon biscotti jar) by themselves and see how they develop (over the next 20 years). Only concern would be the limited genetics in that situation.
 #8698  by thecollector

opae ula related wrote:Where did you purchase the import generation?

I covered that in the first couple of posts and why I don't recommend the seller, you can find the name in the image showing the tanks:
Last edited by thecollector on 26 Dec 2019 17:43, edited 1 time in total.