Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8005  by Owlbit
 17 Jul 2019 19:37
Algae In Space wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:30 That purple color is purple light right? Looks like an Opae Ula disco is about to happen! :grin3:
Yes. That is the purple light on a freshwater tank nearby. I changed the opae ula tank light to one of my normal looking plant light, but they still get some light from the other tank.
 #8006  by Algae In Space
 17 Jul 2019 19:40
Owlbit wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:37
Algae In Space wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:30 That purple color is purple light right? Looks like an Opae Ula disco is about to happen! :grin3:
Yes. That is the purple light on a freshwater tank nearby. I changed the opae ula tank light to one of my normal looking plant light, but they still get some light from the other tank.

Cool! Looks interesting. Is it purple to the human eye or only in the photo?
 #8008  by Owlbit
 17 Jul 2019 19:46
Algae In Space wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:40
Owlbit wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:37
Algae In Space wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:30 That purple color is purple light right? Looks like an Opae Ula disco is about to happen! :grin3:
Yes. That is the purple light on a freshwater tank nearby. I changed the opae ula tank light to one of my normal looking plant light, but they still get some light from the other tank.

Cool! Looks interesting. Is it purple to the human eye or only in the photo?
That might depend on your color setting, but in person, the light emits a pinkish purple hue. I bit more purple than fuchsia. Honestly, the purple-pink light is a bit annoying to stare at for a long time. That is why I changed the shrimp tank light to something my eyes are more comfortable with.
 #8009  by Algae In Space
 17 Jul 2019 22:20
Owlbit wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:46
Algae In Space wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:40
Owlbit wrote: 17 Jul 2019 19:37

Yes. That is the purple light on a freshwater tank nearby. I changed the opae ula tank light to one of my normal looking plant light, but they still get some light from the other tank.

Cool! Looks interesting. Is it purple to the human eye or only in the photo?
That might depend on your color setting, but in person, the light emits a pinkish purple hue. I bit more purple than fuchsia. Honestly, the purple-pink light is a bit annoying to stare at for a long time. That is why I changed the shrimp tank light to something my eyes are more comfortable with.
Ok now I understand! So no Shrimp Disco...
 #8066  by Owlbit
 21 Jul 2019 20:21
My little shrimps are doing well. I don't expect any berried females for a while since these guys are now just over a week in their new home.
tank_20190721b_thumb.jpg
tank_20190721b_thumb.jpg (47.24 KiB) Viewed 714 times
I did add some top off water today and I might have scared them... or at least scared the shed skin off one of them. See pics for what I mean... :what:
tank_20190721a_thumb.jpg
tank_20190721a_thumb.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 714 times
So you see the shed?
tank_20190721_thumb.jpg
tank_20190721_thumb.jpg (70.66 KiB) Viewed 714 times
How about now? Looks scary. :lol:
 #8073  by Owlbit
 22 Jul 2019 18:12
Today is the first time I have witnessed them filter feeding from the water surface. I see them swimming upside down grabbing something here and there. The majority seem too lazy to swim and use the temperature probe wire to access the water surface while their little hands go crazy grabbing.
tank_20190722_thumb.jpg
tank_20190722_thumb.jpg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 696 times
They are so fascinating to watch. And found another shed today.
 #8075  by Algae In Space
 22 Jul 2019 19:35
Owlbit wrote: 22 Jul 2019 18:12 Today is the first time I have witnessed them filter feeding from the water surface.

I don't want to anger anyone but I don't think they are filter feeders in the narrow sense of the word like clams or krill are... just saying. :blush:

I think this is a misunderstanding.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10