Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8309  by Owlbit

I wonder if the brackish water does a kind of 'preserving effect which causes some plants to die slow painful boring deaths?
 #8312  by Algae In Space

Owlbit wrote: 23 Aug 2019 17:37 I wonder if the brackish water does a kind of 'preserving effect which causes some plants to die slow painful boring deaths?

I don't think so :smile: :smile: :smile: I think it has more to do with biochemistry. This is my 4th try and this plant seems to go strong so far. I really know way too little about aquatic plant biology tho!
 #8341  by Vorteil

That is interesting. For my freshwater shrimp tank I add dreid guava leaves. It decays at a resonable speed and the shrimp and snails devour it until there's only the veins left. I threw some in my opae's tanks. It sat there for months. I eventually pulled it out and stuck it in the freshwater tanks. For some reason it took a lot longer in brackish to break down.
 #8345  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 27 Aug 2019 17:32 That is interesting. For my freshwater shrimp tank I add dreid guava leaves. It decays at a resonable speed and the shrimp and snails devour it until there's only the veins left. I threw some in my opae's tanks. It sat there for months. I eventually pulled it out and stuck it in the freshwater tanks. For some reason it took a lot longer in brackish to break down.

No absolutely! But I guess @Owlbit was more talking about live plants dying due to being conserved right? That's at least what I thought is going on :smile:
 #8403  by Algae In Space

Ok went away for some days and the plant is losing leafs and does not look too good. Not sure if it's the snails digging around or if it's the water salinity... the roots are mostly dug up tho... it looked so promising at first... :nerner:

Also my hair algae are going crazy again :dead:

Damn

PS: Do you spot the floating Soechting Oxydator which run out of liquid? :smile:
Attachments:
IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG (1020.96 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG (824.79 KiB) Viewed 8948 times