Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8433  by Arnold
 17 Sep 2019 14:27
If you want to try Vallisneria americana (jungle val) its known to live in brackish waters:

Tape grass, Vallisneria americana, is a salt-tolerant freshwater SAV species that is located in the fresh, oligohaline, and mesohaline portion of estuaries in the eastern United States. Beds of tape grass can occur in the Caloosahatchee Estuary up to 30 km downstream, but grow most luxuriantly upstream of Area 3, especially where their greatest coverage occurs around Area 2 and Beautiful Island. Like other populations in Florida, tape grass in the Caloosahatchee does not completely die back in the winter as it does in more temperate northern clines. Field observations also indicate that canopy height and shoot density begin to decline as salinity rises above 10%

Image
 #8434  by Algae In Space
 17 Sep 2019 18:43
Arnold wrote: 17 Sep 2019 14:27 If you want to try Vallisneria americana (jungle val) its known to live in brackish waters:

Tape grass, Vallisneria americana, is a salt-tolerant freshwater SAV species that is located in the fresh, oligohaline, and mesohaline portion of estuaries in the eastern United States. Beds of tape grass can occur in the Caloosahatchee Estuary up to 30 km downstream, but grow most luxuriantly upstream of Area 3, especially where their greatest coverage occurs around Area 2 and Beautiful Island. Like other populations in Florida, tape grass in the Caloosahatchee does not completely die back in the winter as it does in more temperate northern clines. Field observations also indicate that canopy height and shoot density begin to decline as salinity rises above 10%

Image

Hey thanks! Oh yes I think I've read about it some time ago!I Will search for it! Maybe I can find it somewhere :grin3:
 #8454  by Opae157
 28 Sep 2019 08:55
Has anyone tried putting cattapa or almond leaves into brackish water with the Opae? The one that has tannins and naturally makes the water have a brown Tint like that?
 #8455  by Algae In Space
 28 Sep 2019 13:27
Opae157 wrote: 28 Sep 2019 08:55 Has anyone tried putting cattapa or almond leaves into brackish water with the Opae? The one that has tannins and naturally makes the water have a brown Tint like that?

I have not. You mean to lower the PH leveL? Ope Ula Related has made a vid of pool in Hawaii where there are lots of leaves in it. So the Opae may not care about the PH as much. But this is just an assumption. Next time OUR needs to bring the test kit to test the water there :wink: Right OUR!?
 #8456  by opae ula related
 29 Sep 2019 16:02
Algae In Space wrote:
Opae157 wrote: 28 Sep 2019 08:55 Has anyone tried putting cattapa or almond leaves into brackish water with the Opae? The one that has tannins and naturally makes the water have a brown Tint like that?

I have not. You mean to lower the PH leveL? Ope Ula Related has made a vid of pool in Hawaii where there are lots of leaves in it. So the Opae may not care about the PH as much. But this is just an assumption. Next time OUR needs to bring the test kit to test the water there :wink: Right OUR!?
Ha I should. Next time. There is going to be difference from a pool compared to a tank tough.
 #8457  by Algae In Space
 29 Sep 2019 17:36
opae ula related wrote: 29 Sep 2019 16:02
Algae In Space wrote:
Opae157 wrote: 28 Sep 2019 08:55 Has anyone tried putting cattapa or almond leaves into brackish water with the Opae? The one that has tannins and naturally makes the water have a brown Tint like that?

I have not. You mean to lower the PH leveL? Ope Ula Related has made a vid of pool in Hawaii where there are lots of leaves in it. So the Opae may not care about the PH as much. But this is just an assumption. Next time OUR needs to bring the test kit to test the water there :wink: Right OUR!?
Ha I should. Next time. There is going to be difference from a pool compared to a tank tough.

It would be really interesting to see how much the PH and all the other parameters vary!
 #8458  by Algae In Space
 29 Sep 2019 17:42
Check out these interesting dark patches of dark coloured substrate. It is not a shadow. I stirred a bit around and it is in the substrate. What could it be? Have you guys and gals aver seen this?
Attachments:
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG (1007.15 KiB) Viewed 132 times
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 132 times
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 132 times
IMG_2963.JPG
IMG_2963.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 132 times
  • 1
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28