Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9037  by Melissajayne

Hello again everyone! It's been aaaages since I popped back to the group and unfortunately I couldn't get back into my old account, so I've had to create a new one.

Here is a link to my first ever post from when I first got my shrimps: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=396

I've had them now just under 18 months, they've survived a house move, AND I upgraded their tank around November last year.

The crazy thing is, they are breeding like mad now!! I didn't expect them to breed having only been in the new tank less than three months, but in January 2020, I saw my first berried shrimp!!

Two weeks later, I saw another one, then another, and another! Within the space of 4 weeks, I had all 4 of my females berried, and they all carried successfully and have had approx 9, 8, 3, and 8 larvae respectively. (This is what I was able to count from their bellies, so give or take a couple).

By the end of March, all of my females had given birth, and it's a joy to watch the "juniors" getting bigger and swimming along with the adults more often.

I was super thrilled and also surprised, because the tank was so new and I've heard they are particular about their breeding environment, but this week, 2 females are berried AGAIN!!

How often do shrimp breed, because as this rate, I'm going to need a bigger tank!!!

Thank you all xo
 #9038  by odin

Welcome back! I could of unlocked your account if you forgot your password and still have access to the email address you signed up with.

That’s great news about your shrimp breeding! They must be very happy and feel comfy. What does your tank look like at the moment? Thanks for the update! :smile:
 #9041  by Melissajayne

Hey! I think I emailed you a while ago, but I could log in, just when I logged in, I couldn't access anything. It said my profile didn't exist, none of the posts existed, etc... I even tried clearing cookies and cache, different devices, nothing. :upset:

But I'm here now! Yay!

Here's my updated tank, and my two new berried babes <3

Do you know how frequent shrimps tend to breed?
Attachments:
20200501_150739.jpg
20200501_150739.jpg (747.32 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
20200501_150709.jpg
20200501_150709.jpg (916.83 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
20200501_150440.jpg
20200501_150440.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10842 times
 #9042  by odin

From experience several times a year, the babies can start breeding around the 7 month old mark too usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9044  by odin

You will be able to have a fair few more in that tank yet, these shrimp stop breeding or slow down when they run out of space.

#9089  by Melissajayne

odin wrote:You will be able to have a fair few more in that tank yet, these shrimp stop breeding or slow down when they run out of space.

Hey, just wondered if it's normal for some of the juniors to not survive? With the amount on eggs that hatched over the past month, I can only see a couple of "junior" sized ones... I thought the tank would be getting full by now! :oh:
 #9095  by Kivyee

Hey there! New to the forum - my opies started breeding a couple of months ago too and there's been about 4 batches so far, each between 12 to 15 larvae. I have quite a bit of crushed coral in my tank so they pretty much disappear into that for the first month or so, then slowly reemerge when they are a little larger...maybe that's what you are seeing?

That looks like a good sized tank! You should be able to hold many Opae ula happily in there :).
 #9098  by Melissajayne

Hey! Thanks for your reply! I've had a good look around and I literally cannot see any! There's a couple of juniors swimming around with the adults now, but still smaller in size, but still visible. If some have passed, I can't see any bodies... although I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. Hopefully they are all OK, another female is berried AGAIN which makes 3 in total :lol:
 #9107  by Kivyee

I got another one berried too! These shrimps are keeping busy :laugh:. Well hopefully yours are just hidden. If you have snails in yours you might see bits of shrimp, but they will eat up dead shrimp. I haven't seen Opies do it though I suspect it's more a matter of not having had many dead opies, but most shrimp I have had with will scavenge dead shrimp.