Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8978  by tzg

ranging from 29-32 degC, i had a baby boom recently with over about 60 to 70+ babies hatched over a period of 2-3 months, they just keep getting berried.
 #8982  by odin

That’s interesting, at those temps my shrimp really slow down breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8983  by Vorteil

In all honesty I don't know of anyone who has babies in tanks that are almost 90 degrees /32C. Even at 84 that's pushing it. I mean that's why the berried females and babies stay in the lava tubes since it's cooler and the temps are more stable? I'm not saying you don't but at 29C mine die. The adults no problem. What's your secret?
 #8984  by tzg

there is no secret, i simply leave the tank on its own. The only reason i can think of is my opaes are used to the temp in my country, prior to this boom, my tank was quiet for months. Now all floaters had became swimmers and i did not spot any berried opaes, will update again when the season comes again :laugh:
 #9235  by pentux

Wow so many. Mine has totally stopped breeding ever since I brought them bk home from the office. Most of the time hiding under the cave and I can’t figure out how many there are anymore. Pretty stump and maybe my water has not been right too. Also my tank is also susceptible to more dirt and dog hair even though I made a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #9240  by odin

Maybe get them a larger jar/tank, if what you have doesn’t seem to be working you can change something in your setup and leave it alone again and see if you get better results. It took a fair bit of trial and error to get my setup breeding like they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9270  by pentux

tzg wrote:ranging from 29-32 degC, i had a baby boom recently with over about 60 to 70+ babies hatched over a period of 2-3 months, they just keep getting berried.
Hey tzg, how are your shrimps doing? I think a good way would be to put in more shrimps to improve my chances of them getting berried?

I think my water condition might have deteriorated overtime (quite some time since I have taken any readings), I am wondering when topping up water, can I mix some biodigest into the bottled distilled water, let it rest and then slowly pour it in without changing water?

#9273  by odin

pentux wrote:
tzg wrote:ranging from 29-32 degC, i had a baby boom recently with over about 60 to 70+ babies hatched over a period of 2-3 months, they just keep getting berried.
Hey tzg, how are your shrimps doing? I think a good way would be to put in more shrimps to improve my chances of them getting berried?

I think my water condition might have deteriorated overtime (quite some time since I have taken any readings), I am wondering when topping up water, can I mix some biodigest into the bottled distilled water, let it rest and then slowly pour it in without changing water?

Just put the whole vial of Biodigest in the tank, it will sort out the Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate issues if that is what you have.
 #9280  by pentux

Just took water readings

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
Salinity 1.01

Need to reduce ammonia and nitrate. This was after 2 days when I added in some quick start API to the bottled distilled water before pouring into the tank.

#9313  by pentux

Disturbed them abit by shifting some rocks and sea fan and all of them just started swimming around

After a while, after of them disappeared again hiding in the big cave. Maybe I should just remove the cave.