Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9282  by TheMuggle

odin wrote:That’s good to hear, don’t feel too bad I’ve had some do something similar myself lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank it was really an amateur mistake :(

Anyways, from your experience have you ever noticed the biofilm at the surface water of the tank become "reduced"? I think my shrimpies are doing a number and cleaning up the surface a bit!
 #9292  by odin

Yeah, it must be being eaten :)

#9323  by TheMuggle

odin wrote:Yeah, it must be being eaten :)

Hey there! Another question but is it okay for the shrimps to eat some dust that may fall into the tank?
 #9324  by odin

Yeah so long as it’s just dust, not paint from a ceiling above or anything like that. I prefer to have a lid because it slows evaporation and stops contaminates getting in.
 #9853  by TheMuggle

One of my shrimp is now bearing eggs! Very excited :) I was thinking my tank was only doing so-so in water quality but I guess this proves otherwise :D!

Also I have a side question but since I don't run a filter I sometimes have accumulations at the top even if I have mostly covered the lid so there shouldn't be dust falling in. Is this biofilm or an accumulation of salt at that top? I had to clean it up a bit so it's usually good for a while but it starts to build up again over time
 #9854  by odin

Oh wow that’s great news! Congratulations, yeah your water must be all well and good if they are breeding, just don’t be tempted to change much if the shrimp are happy.

With regards the scum on the waters surface, yes that is biofilm and the shrimp will eat it over time. Once you have a tank full of shrimp they will demolish it most of the time.