Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9570  by Vorteil

When I started this 6 gallon tank I used live rock from my LFS. The presence of coralline was there but not as much now. I believe it's growing as it's starting to creep out of the back opening. Also there's more on the rocks. For some time I had experimented with this tanks water with different saltwater additives. I stopped years ago and just left it on it's own.
Attachments:
IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_4757.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 9983 times
IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4756.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 9983 times
IMG_4755.jpg
IMG_4755.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 9983 times
 #9586  by Vorteil

I did want to mention this is a tank that I experimented with before in the past. Different water additives and so on. That's why the coralline algae is present.
 #9634  by Johnny Max

I think I got that purple stuff from you on that moss covered rock, because my piece of brain coral is turning purple.
It was pure white and I was wanting to get the green surface algae from the rock you sent me to grow on the coral. I held the rock in the water, over the coral and scrapped it with a butter knife. Not much settled on the coral, but a little did. The shrimp ate most of it, but some must have gotten into the pores on the coral.
You can see that a few spots of the green surface algae is starting to grow, so maybe it will take.
But the purple color of the surface was a welcomed surprise. I wonder what it is exactly?
I will keep you posted, but it seems that just scraping the algae on the rock seeded the coral with algae.
I may try it in a pan full of rocks without shrimp, because the shrimp must like you cutting up their food for them into bite size pieces. LOL
Purple Coral.jpg
Purple Coral.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 4167 times