Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7030  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 05 Apr 2019 07:06
opae ula related wrote: Image. See other Opae shrimp top center? no Alpha . No larvae. Did see a bird skeleton, must of died and eaten by by shrimp?
I noticed there were Alphas. Here is a pic of a live crab. See it?Image

I can see it! It's a pretty crab. But could it be a Pele ramseyi? Looks very different.

And you're right the shrimp in the other pic does look like Opae Huna.

Image Don’t think so. Need to research the name of this crab.
My kids swimming in a natural fresh water pool also found this crab in it and they look the same? I didn’t notice the crab in the brackish pool until it ran by and it is well camouflage to match black volcano rock and white coral.
Imagethey also found a shrimp, Opae Huna?

Fyi, no Opae Ula in the natural fresh water pool. This pool is a hidden “tourist attraction” and very common for people to swim/play in it.
 #7031  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 05 Apr 2019 06:59
Algae In Space wrote:A bird skeleton :laugh:

Oh that black one is a cute shrimp too! Interesting - it does not look like any of the shrimp in the holy book!?

Is the green stuff in this pic only algae or seaweed as well?
ImageImage

Here is pic of the bird skeleton. I could be wrong, it could something else.

Also a dead crab.
Interesting! Yeah a crab! So nice to see that many Opae Ula! Are the feeding on the carcases in the picture?
Yeah, it looks to be feeding on it. Looking at it, it looks to have a tail? Maybe it is not a bird but a rat or creature with a tail?
 #7033  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 05 Apr 2019 07:37 Image
This pool is overgrown with this plant and covered the whole pool.

Pic of pool with lots of leaves with a tree nearby.

This one is almost no water but I saw Opae Ula in it.

Closer look of the pic above.

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah there are Opae Ula in the the tiny pond!! That's amazing. They even use this tiny waterbody. The diversity is fascinating to me. I wonder what that plant in the first pic is?
Need to research plant. Here is a closer look. I tried to video inside the pool and it definitely had opae ula in it. See screenshot.
ImageImage
 #7035  by opae ula related

ImageImageImageImageImage

More pics. That white stuff sadly I think is an old newspaper? that probably flew into the pool.

I will have a long video soon when I get back home.
 #7040  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing. I think it's awesome that you had a chance to visit and explore the pools.
I think we discussed this previously about Larvae are released deep within the pool where it is cooler. I think this is true because I couldnt see larvae out in the open. Or I was blind since they are so small.
 #7041  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:Very cool. Thanks for the new images. Looking forward to watching the vid!

Interesting that they all like to sit on the white stuff?!
It does make a easier to see over the white newspaper. : )
 #7043  by Arnold

opae ula related wrote: 06 Apr 2019 00:04 I think we discussed this previously about Larvae are released deep within the pool where it is cooler. I think this is true because I couldnt see larvae out in the open. Or I was blind since they are so small.

Yes, in the wild the larvae has never been watched, there are various hypothesis about it, one of the most accepted its that the larvae need a stable salinity because they dont have the osmotic regulators of the adults, in the upper parts of the pools since the evaporation the larvae cant handle the salinity swings
 #7044  by opae ula related

Arnold wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 06 Apr 2019 00:04 I think we discussed this previously about Larvae are released deep within the pool where it is cooler. I think this is true because I couldnt see larvae out in the open. Or I was blind since they are so small.

Yes, in the wild the larvae has never been watched, there are various hypothesis about it, one of the most accepted its that the larvae need a stable salinity because they dont have the osmotic regulators of the adults, in the upper parts of the pools since the evaporation the larvae cant handle the salinity swings
Image cool! Here is something from the national park.