Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6528  by Vorteil

@opae ula related

I used to have salt tanks before. All soft corals, little to no fish. Way too much upkeep especially when trying to keep the temps low in the summer. Use of a chiller is a must. It was fun, so many interesting corals to keep.

Now I have the opae ula which is great. Don't have too worry too much. Too many small opae tanks. Want to cut it down and just have a few large tanks. I have a few freshwater fish and a turtle.
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG (41.85 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
 #6529  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:@opae ula related

I used to have salt tanks before. All soft corals, little to no fish. Way too much upkeep especially when trying to keep the temps low in the summer. Use of a chiller is a must. It was fun, so many interesting corals to keep.

Now I have the opae ula which is great. Don't have too worry too much. Too many small opae tanks. Want to cut it down and just have a few large tanks. I have a few freshwater fish and a turtle.
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
Man o Man, if you can keep soft corals, you should be able to keep Lohena larva alive : )

That is another level with a backyard pond with fish and a turtle. The one you have cannot go on land right?
 #6532  by opae ula related

@
Algae In Space wrote:Ha cool turtle! I love turtles. I had 3 tortoises.

How big is yours?
I was thinking of a tortoise in a backyard. They live so long, so did you ever regret getting them? Cost to keep one? What do you recommend? other tips?
 #6533  by Algae In Space

Well I had 3 Hermann's tortoises. I kept them in the garden but then I had to move and there was no place for them anymore so I gave them away...

True they live long. It also depends on how much they hibernate. Some people just keep them indoors so they don't really hibernate. They will die way sooner that way. The cost of keeping a tortoises in the backyard is about 0 $. They eat the grass, small flowers, ants and tiny insects that can't get away soon enough, ... You can feed them all sorts of veggies and fruit like cucumber, salad, grapes, banana, ... The thing about them is that they are really a lot on the move. So be aware that they will try to get out of the garden. They even dig around. It's cruel to me to keep them in a tiny terrarium. They also have quite poor sight.
 #6534  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:Well I had 3 Hermann's tortoises. I kept them in the garden but then I had to move and there was no place for them anymore so I gave them away...

True they live long. It also depends on how much they hibernate. Some people just keep them indoors so they don't really hibernate. They will die way sooner that way. The cost of keeping a tortoises in the backyard is about 0 $. They eat the grass, small flowers, ants and tiny insects that can't get away soon enough, ... You can feed them all sorts of veggies and fruit like cucumber, salad, grapes, banana, ... The thing about them is that they are really a lot on the move. So be aware that they will try to get out of the garden. They even dig around. It's cruel to me to keep them in a tiny terrarium. They also have quite poor sight.
Thanks. Got my interest in them. Eastern Hermann’s are $150 for a baby 2” when I searched online.
 #6535  by Algae In Space

Great. I can't remember what I paid for mine. They are on the endangered species list as far as I know. Make sure you get a certificate for them. The breeder will give you one. The babies are extremely cute. But you have to be carful that the garden is enclosed so they won't wander off. When winter comes they will just disappear into the foliage and dig into the ground. There are also methods like putting them into a basket filled with gravel, soil and foliage and put them into the cellar. But you can read up on that when you got one. :cool:
 #6536  by odin

That turtle is so damn cute! What sit called?
 #6537  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:Great. I can't remember what I paid for mine. They are on the endangered species list as far as I know. Make sure you get a certificate for them. The breeder will give you one. The babies are extremely cute. But you have to be carful that the garden is enclosed so they won't wander off. When winter comes they will just disappear into the foliage and dig into the ground. There are also methods like putting them into a basket filled with gravel, soil and foliage and put them into the cellar. But you can read up on that when you got one. :cool:
Thanks.