Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2654  by odin

Your tank appears to be coming along nicely i must admit and its great to see the snails enjoying the tank, we have all been there with new snails when they decide to not move much and it leaves you thinking oh god are they dead?! :smile: With regards the murky/cloudy bacterial bloom it is perfectly normal and this really is the start of your water becoming healthy, it will clear on its own eventually so i would leave the water alone and let it do its thing. Changing water at this point will be a sort of 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

Thanks for the photos and tank update! Exciting times indeed. :happy:
Last edited by odin on 28 Jan 2017 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
 #2655  by ihrtne

Phew, thanks Odin! I was worrying that something bad had started in my tank. Now that you mention it, I'm getting a few spots of film on the water surface so hopefully those good algaes and stuff will be growing even more soon. :grin2:
 #2811  by ihrtne

After cycling for a little over two months, I finally obtained ten shrimp! My water parameters were all good, so I decided that it was time. Plus, the weather is warming up. :laugh:

They were all rather pale when I got them in the mail (except for one bright red trooper who has remained solidly bright red ever since), but except for two, they quickly gained some color after about a day in the tank. Most of them have that white band behind their head, and a few have just a few spots of color in their tail and head. One of them remains a completely pale shrimp, and while it seems to be swimming and doing shrimp-erly things, I'm hoping that it's just naturally a paler shrimp.

I also discovered yesterday the difficulties in getting good images of teeny-tiny constantly moving shrimps. My point-and-click camera is not very good with macro images, so I hope they've come out alright. I think I squatted for twenty minutes next to the tank, most of the time spent trying to get my camera to focus on a shrimp and not on the background or everything else. :upsidedown:

So, without further ado, here are images of two of my freshly obtained shrimps! (to be honest, the only two that would sit still)

Last edited by ihrtne on 16 Mar 2017 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
 #2816  by odin

Awesome photos and shrimp! Congratulations on being very patient and doing everything correct... I'm sure you will be greeted with baby's sooner or later because of it! Keep the photos coming when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro