Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6043  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2018 20:52 Mine always poop a yellow colour? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah it has a slight yellowish color...

I am not sure about the color tho. I just observed that after a while the color changed and never changed back. From dark to bright. I always related this to a change of diet.
 #6050  by Vorteil

Mine go crazy for the spirulina powder. It floats on top & all the opae come out and start swimming upside down till it's all gone. If I want to see if there's berried femails this is one way for me to get them out. I have tried variuos pellet foods which don't have the same reaction.
 #6058  by tzg

Vorteil wrote: 05 Dec 2018 22:43 Mine go crazy for the spirulina powder. It floats on top & all the opae come out and start swimming upside down till it's all gone. If I want to see if there's berried femails this is one way for me to get them out. I have tried variuos pellet foods which don't have the same reaction.
wont the powder dissolves in the water?
 #6060  by Paulao

tzg wrote: 06 Dec 2018 04:08
Vorteil wrote: 05 Dec 2018 22:43 Mine go crazy for the spirulina powder. It floats on top & all the opae come out and start swimming upside down till it's all gone. If I want to see if there's berried femails this is one way for me to get them out. I have tried variuos pellet foods which don't have the same reaction.
wont the powder dissolves in the water?
From my experience, if you pour the powder on top of the water surface, it would stay on top and maybe only 5% would desolve into the water.

I've also tried Odin's method (shown in a video on another thread) mixing spirulina powder and tank water in a cup, then using a syringe to pump it into the middle of the tank water level. Following which i would see the shrimps doing roller coaster eating the food. :grin:
 #6098  by odin

Yup they swim laps and do loops in the water for the stuff when its put in the center of the tank in the water hehe.
 #6138  by tzg

odin wrote: 05 Dec 2018 06:42 If the food isn’t eaten and you don’t have a lot of algae and plants then you are just going to increase Nitrates if your tank is cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
just checked water, all are good, nitrate still safe at 5ppm.
 #6139  by odin

Good to hear. :cool:
 #6370  by Vorteil

Just wanted to share some pics of a couple of berried females. I don't see them often since they seem to hang out hidden in the back of the tank.
Attachments:
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG (34.04 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
IMG_2720.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG (34.05 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG (36.75 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
 #6387  by odin