Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8922  by opae ula related

Opae ula can handle all ranges of temperatures. Vorteil did noticed higher % of survival if lower temps. Is that your reasoning?
 #8923  by odin

They should be fine up to 30 deg C, it’s a shame you can’t take the lid off because of insects, maybe you could buy a large fabric screen or mesh to put over the top.. this would let the tank cool a little and keep the bugs out.

If you feel the water is getting too hot keep some bottles of frozen water in your freezer and just pop the whole thing in your tank and it will cool it down (bottle and water and cap secured, not pour it in :p ) it will act like an iceberg floating in the tank lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8928  by pentux

opae ula related wrote:Opae ula can handle all ranges of temperatures. Vorteil did noticed higher % of survival if lower temps. Is that your reasoning?
I had successful breeding at lower temp. No breeding for the longest time since and they r always hiding under the cave now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #8929  by pentux

odin wrote:They should be fine up to 30 deg C, it’s a shame you can’t take the lid off because of insects, maybe you could buy a large fabric screen or mesh to put over the top.. this would let the tank cool a little and keep the bugs out.

If you feel the water is getting too hot keep some bottles of frozen water in your freezer and just pop the whole thing in your tank and it will cool it down (bottle and water and cap secured, not pour it in :p ) it will act like an iceberg floating in the tank lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Partly because my area as a lot of dust (house gets dusty easily) and my dog’s fur flying everywhere, i want to reduce stuff from getting into the tank . It is a transparent cover so I am cool with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #8931  by Vorteil

I've always seen my opae doing better around 21-22C but that's my preferred temp. Winters in my garage hover around 18-19C. I've gone so far as to put mini chillers(Ice Probe Chiller) on my tanks during the summer to avoid going over 27C. Unfortunately I don't have enough to put on all my tanks so I jus pick the ones that are doing the best. Turn these on around 11am & off around 7pm. Bought these used over time on eBay.

It makes me wonder what the temps are in the lava tubes where the berried females & babies hang out. It seems that if my temps went too high say over 29C I would start to lose my babies. I even removed them from the tanks but they still died. Temps had stayed the same so I figured it was too high form them to withstand.
 #8937  by odin

When we have our heat waves and the tanks are at 29 - 30 deg C I get very little breeding. I’ve seen a lot of Australian shrimp keepers using chillers but they are new to me.. may have to look into how they work.
 #8976  by tzg

there's no need for chiller, my friends' tank including mine are all thriving under room temperature, my home facing the evening sun is warm and the shrimps are able to keep produce non stop for a long period. let me know if u need anything =)