Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4923  by thecollector

odin wrote: 11 Apr 2018 22:10 The problem is a lot of these company's don't really care much for the shrimp or you once they have left their warehouse which is a shame, its the main reason why i setup this forum (to help keepers and to help with after sales if needed).
Yep.

Which is why I'm recommending you.

You wouldn't believe how I got the "they who will not be named" to respond, but still ignored my problem.

It's a shame as the shrimp that survived are huge and really active.

Might be because, the water I put them in is a lot better than what they came in. I have a feeling that what they were transported in, was also what they were living in for a long time. As the chunk of poly-filter was really yellow when I got them. I have a feeling that they are wild caught as well.
 #4924  by thecollector

I think I'll finish off my intro with the food I feed:

Mainly TetraColor tropical granules - saw a recommendation on a youtube video by L.R.Bretz - only thing he feeds his 200+ tanks of fish and shrimp (not Opae Ula). Had to order them in from the US, as the granuals are not available in the UK.

Have to crush the granules into dust, otherwise the Opae will fight over the big chunks.

I started off with Dennerle CrustaGran Marinus, but now only mix it in every now and then for variety. Again need to turn them into dust or there will be fighting, if they have to share a few whole bits instead of lots of little chunks.

Hikari Crab Cuisine, saw a recommendation on the site a while back, so bought it to try. I only rotate it in every now and then, the Opae don’t seam to go for it as much as the other two.

I prefer the TetraColor granuals as the Opae in tanks 2 but especially 3 will devour everything I give them. I’m not too concerned about the “only feed them what they can eat in a set amount of time” as I only feed them every few days, so can give them a bit more when I do feed them.

For the TetraColor granuals I give say tank 3: about 5 or 6 granuals that I then crush and by the next day there is nothing left. With the CrustaGran and the Crab Cuisine, I might have to pick out the left overs, which is not an easy thing to do.

I’ve also bought some Spirulina powder (bought 100g by BULK POWDERS on amazon - for human consumption as it's cheaper than stuff with just a shrimp food label on it), in prep for the babies and because Odin’s lot in tank 1 seam to be a bit finicky on what they eat.

Actually I originally bought the Opae because I wanted to get back into growing my own Spirulina. After getting the Opae, it dawned on me that I might need a lot more to be able to make a dent on the amount I’m looking to grow.
 #4925  by odin

Yeah that’s probably my fault for only ever feeding mine spirulina powder to be honest haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4928  by thecollector

I managed to get a picture of a baby floating about: :smile:

On a different note: here is my water distiller:
Attachments:
2018-04-12-making-water.jpg
2018-04-12-making-water.jpg (153.3 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
2018-04-12-baby.png
2018-04-12-baby.png (113.58 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
 #4929  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:I managed to get a picture of a baby floating about: :smile:

On a different note: here is my water distiller:
Nice!

How long does it take to make a gallon of water?
 #4930  by thecollector

opae ula related wrote: 12 Apr 2018 16:44 Nice!

How long does it take to make a gallon of water?
It depends on the temp of the water you start off with.

The manual says 4 hours to process the 4 litres (1 gal) you start off with.

But...

I find it only takes 3 hours, give or take 10 or 20 mins. Again depending if you start off with ice cold tap water or water out of the hot tap, which takes a bit less time.

The key is that once the 4th 1 litre mason jar is about half way. You are nearly done. Once the popping sounds (almost like popcorn) start. It’s time to turn off. As the amount of water that is still in the pot is so little, the direct heat causes the water to pop.

I’ve opened the unit once when it was still hot, but after turning it off, and saw what was happening.

If you wait for the amount of time the manual says, you will destroy the unit.

I find you lose upto 0.4l to steam, but mostly to what is left in the pot as I never allow it to do the full run.
 #4931  by Vorteil

Now you've got me thinking about culturing my own spirulina. Could it be added live to the opae instead of drying it out?
 #4932  by thecollector

Vorteil wrote: 12 Apr 2018 18:29 Now you've got me thinking about culturing my own spirulina. Could it be added live to the opae instead of drying it out?

I see why not, as long as you "wash" the Spirulina, so that you are not adding the growing medium into the Opae's water.
 #4934  by thecollector

Vorteil wrote: 12 Apr 2018 19:33 This would be very interesting to do. I wonder if anyone has done this just to feed their opae?
If it's just to feed the Opae, it might be more work than it's worth. Especially when you have culture crashes.

Growing more of the algae, already in the tank(s) would be a simpler option.

But...

If you were already growing or plan to grow for a different reason, say producing a lot more than the Opae would use, putting aside a gram or so every few days wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Wish I had more than just brow algae on the sides of my tanks. The only green stuff in them is what I've put in.