Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7248  by odin

Cant add anything, you are breeding well and consistently.... great work.
 #7459  by thecollector

Tank 3 had more babies drop a week or so ago, and I decided to take about 7 or so and place them in the small jar.

I've moved on from using the turkey baster or the glass rod - just too hard and time consuming.

The best way to move floating baby Opae by far: use a glass aquarium plant pot like the one below
Coupled with a bright light source like a torch, and the babies just float into the pot - like so: Remember torch outside the tank, glass pot in the tank...

I've cleaned off some of the algae on the fronts of tanks 2 and 3 to get a better view into them.

It just amazes me that in just tank 3: there is about 23 or so jumbo Opae - the babies from the beginning of the year are now as big as the adults.

There are also 8+ floating babies. If they all grow like their older brothers and sisters, that will put the number at about 30 Opae in a 15cm cube.

There is something about tank 3 above that is causing the babies to grow so quickly.
The Opae that I put into the jar, are still less than half the size, yet they were babies at the same time.

Soon it will be time to move some out of tank 3 and into a new tank.

Before I forget, take a look at the tank 3 image above, the Opae which looks to have green eggs (almost in the centre of the image [from left to right], the one on the the rock on the left, looking towards the white ball below it), that was a baby this year. The full red Opae - they are the originals.

Tank 2: Not much happening in tank 2, the surface algae is going strong, the amount of bubbles under the algae is over the top like pearling on a carpet plant - see above image.

The Opae in tank 1 have been hiding a lot in the rock pile. I've only seen a floating baby every now and then.
Attachments:
tank-2.png
tank-2.png (926.11 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
tank-3.png
tank-3.png (997.73 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Tourch-how-to.png
Tourch-how-to.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
glass_pot.png
glass_pot.png (283.55 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
 #7461  by thecollector

opae ula related wrote: 22 May 2019 22:33 Nice, it is the like the Vossen Larval catcher that people are talking about.
Looks interesting, although I wouldn't be able to get one of those larval catchers in the 15cm cube.

With the glass pot, you can position it anywhere, with the light source behind the pot, the babies just float right in.

Give them enough time and you could easily catch all the babies in one go.
 #7467  by odin

Now that's a great idea! I will try this out at some point in time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7761  by thecollector

No much to report...

Tank one has another berried female, there are also two floating babies.

Tank two - not much happening there, all the Opae seam to be doing well, they are all really red, the stones are all becoming greener with algae growing everywhere.

Tank three and the jar - all the Opae are doing fine. I'm hoping for more babies soon, as there are quite a few saddled females in tank 4.
 #7763  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:No much to report...

Tank one has another berried female, there are also two floating babies.

Tank two - not much happening there, all the Opae seam to be doing well, they are all really red, the stones are all becoming greener with algae growing everywhere.

Tank three and the jar - all the Opae are doing fine. I'm hoping for more babies soon, as there are quite a few saddled females in tank 4.
Recent pics?
 #7766  by thecollector

Tank 1, turns out I was off by one - see bottom right :happy: :
tank-1.JPG
tank-1.JPG (445.62 KiB) Viewed 7786 times

Tank 2:
tank-2.JPG
tank-2.JPG (322.44 KiB) Viewed 7786 times

Tank 3:
tank-3.JPG
tank-3.JPG (392.77 KiB) Viewed 7786 times

Tank 3 back in May:
tank-3-in-may.JPG
tank-3-in-may.JPG (200.94 KiB) Viewed 7786 times

The difference between the numbers in may's pic and today's - the rest are out of frame.