Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4935  by thecollector

So far I have 4 baby Opae in a small round PET jar. Here are two of them: It looks like there are 3 in the picture but the one near the top is a reflection cause by the jar being round.

I caught them (the 4 babies in the jar) on Wednesday 11th of Apr 2018.

I believe there are/were 3 berried females in my first and main tank.
I know there is 1 berried female which has a lot of eggs, 10+.

She likes to hang out in the bottom right hand corned at the front, between the glass and the log (Biohome filter media) that's behind the Nano Cube label .

Another one that I've only seen since Wednesday, only has 2 eggs. She might be the mother of the 4 babies I have, as I've previously seen a berried female with only 7 eggs (last week). But haven't seen any with 7 eggs since.

So there might be another baby in the main tank that I've not seen or the babies are from the third female that only had 4 eggs the last time I saw her.

Onto where I need help...

For those who have had babies what would you suggest I do.

At the moment they are in a temporary jar, with 3 small pebbles and a bit of a moss ball.

I'm planning on moving some of the Caribsea Aragonite from the tank shown above to help seed the substrate of the baby tank I'm going to setup. It will be a 15cm x 15cm x 15cm acrylic cube.

I might take one of the large rocks that is at the back of the main tank as well, again to help seed the baby tank.

I can take a few more of red pebbles that are at the back on the left hand side by the moss ball.

Might move the big moss ball.

But will be using the water that comes out of the tank when I do a water change on it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Even if it's to not do what I'm thinking about doing.
Attachments:
2018-04-13-two-babies.png
2018-04-13-two-babies.png (80.26 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
2018-04-13-main-tank.png
2018-04-13-main-tank.png (494.69 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
 #4939  by thecollector

Baby count is now 5.

Did a 1l (about 25%) water change on Saturday an my main tank.

Today (Monday), there are more berried females. Seams the water change helped them along. As all the Opae have brightened up.

So I’m potentially looking at about 25 to 30 babies. :happy:

The colony is going to triple in size.

I'm already changing my plans, have mixed up some old water from the main tank with about half new water. And have started adding some to the baby holding jar to get them acclimated.
 #4940  by odin

That’s great news! :lol: with my larvae tanks I just filled it up with brackish water, added some substrate from one of my other tanks and added biodigest. You won’t get a huge change in biolode until the larvae actually develop into shrimp and by then your tank would of matured.
 #4989  by thecollector

Just seen one of the babies glide across the holding tank like a normal adult, its back legs propelling it forward.
 #4990  by odin

thecollector wrote:Just seen one of the babies glide across the holding tank like a normal adult, its back legs propelling it forward.
Nice! You will see it on the tank sides a fair bit to start with then they tend to disappear and hide until they get a bit bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro