Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5909  by Paulao

Decided to start my tank diary over here.

63L tank newly set up 1 week ago, added some nitrifying bacteria & ammonia chloride to expedite the bacteria process. Did some water test and parameters looks good.

-Salinity 1.012
-PH 8.5
-Water Temperature 28.5 degrees celcius
-Ammonia 2.0ppm
-Nitrate 0
-Nitrite 0

Now just have to wait for spike in nitrite before doing water changes i guess.
-Any advice how many % of water to change usually?
-1 of the LFS recommended me to add "either Seachem Flourish or ENVY for plants" and he mentioned it would assist algae to grow faster and better ( Not sure if its just a sale talk to persuade me to buy stuffs as I was there to buy a turkey baster) or purely just goodwill advice.
-How usually does nitrite takes to spike usually?
 #5913  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 29 Nov 2018 01:48 Decided to start my tank diary over here.

63L tank newly set up 1 week ago, added some nitrifying bacteria & ammonia chloride to expedite the bacteria process. Did some water test and parameters looks good.

-Salinity 1.012
-PH 8.5
-Water Temperature 28.5 degrees celcius
-Ammonia 2.0ppm
-Nitrate 0
-Nitrite 0

Now just have to wait for spike in nitrite before doing water changes i guess.
-Any advice how many % of water to change usually?
-1 of the LFS recommended me to add "either Seachem Flourish or ENVY for plants" and he mentioned it would assist algae to grow faster and better ( Not sure if its just a sale talk to persuade me to buy stuffs as I was there to buy a turkey baster) or purely just goodwill advice.
-How usually does nitrite takes to spike usually?

28.5 degrees - that's how they like it :smile:

I was a total newbie when I started my first tank. I didn't do water changes at all. And I guess you don't have to if the water parameters are right. I really think I did not have high nitrites ever. But there will be pros here who may have better advice. :grin3:
 #5917  by odin

You can just sit back and relax for now and test your water every few days to make it more interesting for yourself but don't dip the test tubes back in the tank as you will contaminate the tank with the testing chemicals so i would buy a syringe. Take a look here for some information on cycling: page/water-quality?sid=f94a264a91c3fd1a ... d2#cycling

I wouldn't bother with adding anything more for now so just smile and nod to the sales guy and walk out empty handed lol.
 #5946  by Paulao

@Algae In Space Now its a newbie's turn to seek advice from you now. Your display picture of those nice layer of algae really very fascinating. That temperature is the best i can have over my area since its a hot country.

@odin thanks of much for the link & advice sir. I'm following strictly on your cycling advice and i'm enjoying my new tank journey with the help of fellow members of this forum. Anyway i went out of the LFS with just a turkey baster and nothing else. :smile:

@opae ula related Tried to upload but having a bit of issue. Will try to upload soon. thanks man. :sidesmile:
 #5954  by odin

Paulao wrote:@Algae In Space Now its a newbie's turn to seek advice from you now. Your display picture of those nice layer of algae really very fascinating. That temperature is the best i can have over my area since its a hot country.

@odin thanks of much for the link & advice sir. I'm following strictly on your cycling advice and i'm enjoying my new tank journey with the help of fellow members of this forum. Anyway i went out of the LFS with just a turkey baster and nothing else. :smile:

@opae ula related Tried to upload but having a bit of issue. Will try to upload soon. thanks man. :sidesmile:

The issue was on my end and should be fixed now for images. :cool:
 #5955  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 01 Dec 2018 03:10 @Algae In Space Now its a newbie's turn to seek advice from you now. Your display picture of those nice layer of algae really very fascinating. That temperature is the best i can have over my area since its a hot country.

Opae Ula can get a bit of an obsession :blush: I am a total fan of these little swimmers. If a had the room (and money) I'd use a super large custom tank to emulate a natural habitat and I'd die a happy man :smile: But I really do love all animals. I guess I'm an "animal person" :grin3:

PS: Have you had a look at my Opae Ula Questionnaire yet? https://goo.gl/forms/vsBC0NOlZ0LrGNoX2 :blush:
 #5971  by Paulao

@odin Thanks Odin. gonna load some updates.

-5 days after last water test with ammonia 2ppm, nitrate & nitrite 0ppm, got some new test result earlier on.

-PH stays at 8.5
-Ammonia stays at 2ppm,
-Nitrate spike to 5.0ppm,
-Nitrite spike to 0.25ppm

I think bacteria is building well. No signs of algae growth yet. So usually how do you guys decide like "now is the time to put in the shrimps?"
Is it like only when algae is established ? i understand that with high spike of nitrate, algae would grow naturally, any guidelines on how high should nitrate reach (eg. 20ppm etc) before parameters are ready for water changes / ready for shrimp input?

@Algae In Space Totally Agreed. I'm addicted to them now.. :smile: well an "animal person" sounds like a happy person to me.. Anyway I've participated in your questionnaire few weeks back. Nice set of question which got me to realise some "answers" which i needed for myself.
Attachments:
Water Test-min.jpg
Water Test-min.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 7426 times
tank set up-min.jpg
tank set up-min.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 7426 times
 #5977  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 02 Dec 2018 00:08 @odin Thanks Odin. gonna load some updates.

-5 days after last water test with ammonia 2ppm, nitrate & nitrite 0ppm, got some new test result earlier on.

-PH stays at 8.5
-Ammonia stays at 2ppm,
-Nitrate spike to 5.0ppm,
-Nitrite spike to 0.25ppm

I think bacteria is building well. No signs of algae growth yet. So usually how do you guys decide like "now is the time to put in the shrimps?"
Is it like only when algae is established ? i understand that with high spike of nitrate, algae would grow naturally, any guidelines on how high should nitrate reach (eg. 20ppm etc) before parameters are ready for water changes / ready for shrimp input?

@Algae In Space Totally Agreed. I'm addicted to them now.. :smile: well an "animal person" sounds like a happy person to me.. Anyway I've participated in your questionnaire few weeks back. Nice set of question which got me to realise some "answers" which i needed for myself.

Oh thanks very much! Oh yes I remember now! Sorry to have asked you twice :what:
 #5996  by odin

When ammonia and nitrites read zero you can do a large water change to reduce the nitrates then dump all the shrimp in. :cool: