Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6100  by Acit

Hi, what a great setup u have, so lovely. I can see a lot of larvae floating. It quite strange if u said it only breed at 72 degree. In SG here, I can only achieve 72 degree in aircon room. For my opinion water parameter is the main factor for them to breed, I did adjust my tank pH value up by adding coral chips to achieve 8.0 and bought myself a refractometer to up & maintain the salinity to 1.015. By then I realize one of my opae ula got berried. I might be wrong in this but that was what I did. But what I can see from your setup & the amount of larvae floating, your tank water parameter is very good then. Thanks for sharing the pics & info on your setup : )
Vorteil wrote:@Acit
Welcome to the forum!

That's great that you can get the opae to breed at 30 degrees C. For me either they would not breed at all or when a few would the babies would disappear after a day or two. All the water papameters were fine and I even separated the babies to another tank by themselves. Next day I would find them on the bottom dead. Now that the temps are down here in California 65-72 degrees I finding no issues at all.
 #6104  by Algae In Space

Acit wrote: 08 Dec 2018 11:36 Hi, what a great setup u have, so lovely. I can see a lot of larvae floating. It quite strange if u said it only breed at 72 degree. In SG here, I can only achieve 72 degree in aircon room. For my opinion water parameter is the main factor for them to breed, I did adjust my tank pH value up by adding coral chips to achieve 8.0 and bought myself a refractometer to up & maintain the salinity to 1.015. By then I realize one of my opae ula got berried. I might be wrong in this but that was what I did. But what I can see from your setup & the amount of larvae floating, your tank water parameter is very good then. Thanks for sharing the pics & info on your setup : )
Welcome to the forum!

That's great that you can get the opae to breed at 30 degrees C. For me either they would not breed at all or when a few would the babies would disappear after a day or two. All the water papameters were fine and I even separated the babies to another tank by themselves. Next day I would find them on the bottom dead. Now that the temps are down here in California 65-72 degrees I finding no issues at all. IMG_2149.JPGIMG_2159.JPG

One could very well come to conclusions like these. But on the other hand the Opaes live in so many different conditions in their habitats... it's hard for me to understand the correlations here. Since I read Hawaiian Anchialine Pools (or The Holy Book :grin3: as I call it for short) I realised that the diversity of pools is mega!
Last edited by Algae In Space on 08 Dec 2018 21:17, edited 3 times in total.
 #6105  by Acit

Algae In Space wrote:
Acit wrote: 08 Dec 2018 11:36 Hi, what a great setup u have, so lovely. I can see a lot of larvae floating. It quite strange if u said it only breed at 72 degree. In SG here, I can only achieve 72 degree in aircon room. For my opinion water parameter is the main factor for them to breed, I did adjust my tank pH value up by adding coral chips to achieve 8.0 and bought myself a refractometer to up & maintain the salinity to 1.015. By then I realize one of my opae ula got berried. I might be wrong in this but that was what I did. But what I can see from your setup & the amount of larvae floating, your tank water parameter is very good then. Thanks for sharing the pics & info on your setup : )
Welcome to the forum!

That's great that you can get the opae to breed at 30 degrees C. For me either they would not breed at all or when a few would the babies would disappear after a day or two. All the water papameters were fine and I even separated the babies to another tank by themselves. Next day I would find them on the bottom dead. Now that the temps are down here in California 65-72 degrees I finding no issues at all. IMG_2149.JPGIMG_2159.JPG

One could very well come to conclusions like these. But on the other hand the Opaes live in so many different conditions in their habitats... it's hard for me to understand the correlations here. Since I red Hawaiian Anchialine Pools or The Holy Book as I call it for short I realised that the diversity of pools is mega!
I agree with you. Hopefully yours will turn into shrimplets. For mine even it had turned into shrimplets I still not sure will there be anymore opae ula will get berried. These shrimps are very unpredictable to my opinion. Please keep us updates on your larvae progress. Thanks : )
 #6107  by Algae In Space

Acit wrote: 08 Dec 2018 14:59
Algae In Space wrote:

One could very well come to conclusions like these. But on the other hand the Opaes live in so many different conditions in their habitats... it's hard for me to understand the correlations here. Since I red Hawaiian Anchialine Pools or The Holy Book as I call it for short I realised that the diversity of pools is mega!
I agree with you. Hopefully yours will turn into shrimplets. For mine even it had turned into shrimplets I still not sure will there be anymore opae ula will get berried. These shrimps are very unpredictable to my opinion. Please keep us updates on your larvae progress. Thanks : )

I don't have larvae yet. I can't really say how old my oldest Opaes are. But at least 5 months or so. So they might start breeding in the near future. I guess the eggs are already sinking down :grin3: Let's lean back and see what will happen.
Attachments:
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 8468 times
 #6110  by Acit

Good to know that those shrimps easily breed. Hopefully everything goes well for them. From there u can everyday sit in front of the tank monitoring how they progress : )
Algae In Space wrote:
Acit wrote: 08 Dec 2018 14:59
Algae In Space wrote:

I don't have larvae yet. I can't really say how old my oldest Opaes are. But at least 5 months or so. So they might start breeding in the near future. I guess the eggs are already sinking down :grin3: Let's lean back and see what will happen.
 #6113  by Paulao

Acit wrote: 10 Dec 2018 01:28 Good to know that those shrimps easily breed. Hopefully everything goes well for them. From there u can everyday sit in front of the tank monitoring how they progress : )
Algae In Space wrote:
Acit wrote: 08 Dec 2018 14:59 I agree with you. Hopefully yours will turn into shrimplets. For mine even it had turned into shrimplets I still not sure will there be anymore opae ula will get berried. These shrimps are very unpredictable to my opinion. Please keep us updates on your larvae progress. Thanks : )

I can literally sit for hours looking at them swimming around. Let them surprise with baby shrimplets soon. :happy:
 #6121  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 10 Dec 2018 02:37
Acit wrote: 10 Dec 2018 01:28 Good to know that those shrimps easily breed. Hopefully everything goes well for them. From there u can everyday sit in front of the tank monitoring how they progress : )
Algae In Space wrote:

I can literally sit for hours looking at them swimming around. Let them surprise with baby shrimplets soon. :happy:

Yeah it's pretty cool how active they are. I like to watch my snails too. They can be surprisingly "fast" sometimes.
 #6125  by odin

I find the speed thing funny too, you can lift the tanks lid off and if you dont watch out the snails creep out when you are not looking! :upsidedown: :upsidedown: