Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6182  by Melijayne

Hey everyone! New opaeula owner here from the UK!

Please meet: Langos-tina Aguilera, Lisa Shrimpson, and Prawn Connery :lol:

I was given the self contained shrimp world and I ADORE them!!

Any tips on how to keep them happy always welcome, also how do I know who is male or female? (Apart from the one with the brown back, I was told these are eggs).

Thank you!!! :upsidedown:
Attachments:
20181216_215529.jpg
20181216_215529.jpg (547.99 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
20181216_215523.jpg
20181216_215523.jpg (519.98 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
20181216_215252.jpg
20181216_215252.jpg (521.21 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
 #6185  by Algae In Space

Ok those names are cool!

I don't know of any method to tell except the eggs. Females may be a bit larger. And more vivid in color. But that's academic.

Amazing how translucent yours are. Please tell more. It seems to be a smaller tank right? How old are they? Do you feed them? ...

Well you could put an "algae ball" in the tank. They love those. They like to feed on the biofilm that grows on them and it's fun for them to sit on them. (It's also a preferred "poopy place"...) :smile:
 #6187  by Melijayne

Algae In Space wrote: 18 Dec 2018 00:11 Ok those names are cool!

I don't know of any method to tell except the eggs. Females may be a bit larger. And more vivid in color. But that's academic.

Amazing how translucent yours are. Please tell more. It seems to be a smaller tank right? How old are they? Do you feed them? ...

Well you could put an "algae ball" in the tank. They love those. They like to feed on the biofilm that grows on them and it's fun for them to sit on them. (It's also a preferred "poopy place"...) :smile:
Haha thanks!

Yeah, I was worried about then being so translucent, I had read that translucent means they've been spooked or aren't happy, but I don't know how to tell if they are ok! :upset2:

They came in one of those shrimp world sets, so I got a tiny tank (less than 1 litre), wooden sticks, little pellets (stones apparently), some aquatic mix, and 2 sachets of what look like ground coffee (algae?).

Nowhere in the instructions does it say to add the ground coffee looking stuff because there's lots of fibre strands (moss I think it's supposed to be), but a YouTube video shower to add some. So I put a sprinkling in, and not sure if they like it or not!!

I don't know how old they are sadly, I've had them for 5 days now but one has shed already! :smile: :smile:
 #6188  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 18 Dec 2018 07:31
Algae In Space wrote: 18 Dec 2018 00:11 Ok those names are cool!

Haha thanks!

Yeah, I was worried about then being so translucent, I had read that translucent means they've been spooked or aren't happy, but I don't know how to tell if they are ok! :upset2:

They came in one of those shrimp world sets, so I got a tiny tank (less than 1 litre), wooden sticks, little pellets (stones apparently), some aquatic mix, and 2 sachets of what look like ground coffee (algae?).

Nowhere in the instructions does it say to add the ground coffee looking stuff because there's lots of fibre strands (moss I think it's supposed to be), but a YouTube video shower to add some. So I put a sprinkling in, and not sure if they like it or not!!

I don't know how old they are sadly, I've had them for 5 days now but one has shed already! :smile: :smile:

Well I guess the Opaes need their caffeine every now and then as it seems. They are working hard after all. Always moving those tiny limbs. Mine prefer green tee. :smile:

Yes it could mean that they are a bit nervous. Some just aren't that colourful tho.

About the aquatic mix and the ground coffee. Could you post an image? I don't really know what it could be. I would be careful. The "balance" could get out of hand with this stuff. At fist the tank will "cycle" anyway.

Do you use a lamp or just ambient light? Lifting the lid (if you have one) every now and then would be cool also. Also not sure if they will breed in a tiny tank.

PS: I am sure you are the best looking Opae Ula keeper on this forum already. Next to me obviously :smile:
Last edited by Algae In Space on 18 Dec 2018 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
 #6190  by odin

Welcome to the forum! Nice little shrimp you have there :happy:

Sometimes shrimp are that colour because they are not happy but sometimes it can just be how they re bred or their natural colour. If you can get a larger container for them in the future i would do that as the more water you give them the more forgiving it is when you have any water issues.

Can you post an image of the food you are speaking of? Sounds crazy lol.
 #6192  by opae ula related

Picture of whole tank? Clear Opae Ula could mean they are from Oahu. Do you happen to know where it was purchased?
 #6196  by Melijayne

Hey everyone!

So as you can see, my "tank" is very small. It's was a present from my other half, but the company is ecospheres.co.uk.

Apart from that, it doesn't tell you what type of shrimp they are.

The aquatic mix is in with the water, it's supposed to be all the salts and nutrients I think. The "ground coffee" stuff is pictured below and the instructions didn't tell me to do anything with it!!

In terms of lighting they are in my kitchen which gets natural daylight during the day, and the lights are on when we come home from work.

I'm sad to learn there's a whole lot more to looking after shrimp than just leaving them in this box for 2 years as the instructions suggests, I hope I can give these guys a nice forever home :happy:
Attachments:
20181218_182030.jpg
20181218_182030.jpg (515.08 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
20181218_181746.jpg
20181218_181746.jpg (734.63 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
20181218_181651.jpg
20181218_181651.jpg (539.73 KiB) Viewed 7571 times