Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6263  by Melijayne

Crap! I didn't know not to feed them straight away! I'll go and buy some of that Biodigest stuff tomorrow :ow:

I'm trying to take a pic of them in their new home, but they are zooming around so fast it's impossible! :laugh:

Thank you @odin and @Algae In Space for all your help so far. I'm so glad I found this forum :plain:
odin wrote: 22 Dec 2018 17:08 That setup looks great and the water parameters are good too, you can just submerge the old tank in the new one and let them swim out if you find that easier.

Don’t feed the new tank for the first week or two and if you do put them in strait away buy some prodibio biodigest vials and use one of those once a week until you get algae growth as this will help cycle your tank and keep the water very healthy and you won’t have to do any water changes to keep Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates low.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6264  by odin

Its all good, just don't feed them more then once a fortnight, the reason for this is because what they dont eat may pollute the water. When your tank has matured and shows algae growth/biofilm on the waters surface you then know the friendly bacteria in the water which you want is actually there and this will take care of the left overs in the water, it gets turned into algae food and helps that grow. In turn the shrimp eat the algae! Almost a perfect circle lol :laugh: :laugh:

Props to you for getting a bigger tank though, they will appreciate that. The biodigest is great stuff, i buy mine on amazon and this really cuts any issues you will come across and keep the tank healthy, i use this in my tanks all the time and wouldnt be without it.
 #6268  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 22 Dec 2018 16:49 Sooooo here's my new home for them!!! I went to an aquatic and pond store and they were so helpful! They made the water for me so all I had to do was full up the tank!

I bought a hydrometer and SG is measuring 1.012, temperature is 19C but I have a heater.

I was thinking of introducing them to the new tank while the water are the same temperatures, and then warming it up gradually so it's not too much of a shock - is that a good idea?

I've got a couple of moss balls and also some shrimp food which has some spirulina in it - I've dropped a couple of pellets into their current home and they're the most active I've seen them in a while!!!

I'm letting the water settle overnight and will be introducing them tomorrow.

I hope I've not forgotten anything!!!

Now that's a tank. Well done. :sidesmile: And Odin already answered all the questions. All's well.
 #6272  by tzg

am happy for u that you are happy and for ur opae as they have a new big home now! im sure they will enjoy the new home more and all the best to them :smile:
 #6282  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 22 Dec 2018 16:49 Sooooo here's my new home for them!!! I went to an aquatic and pond store and they were so helpful! They made the water for me so all I had to do was full up the tank!

I bought a hydrometer and SG is measuring 1.012, temperature is 19C but I have a heater.

I was thinking of introducing them to the new tank while the water are the same temperatures, and then warming it up gradually so it's not too much of a shock - is that a good idea?

I've got a couple of moss balls and also some shrimp food which has some spirulina in it - I've dropped a couple of pellets into their current home and they're the most active I've seen them in a while!!!

I'm letting the water settle overnight and will be introducing them tomorrow.

I hope I've not forgotten anything!!!

What a shame. Now you have to do the Opae Ula Questionnaire all over again sometime :grin3:
 #6283  by Melijayne

Algae In Space wrote: 23 Dec 2018 11:29
What a shame. Now you have to do the Opae Ula Questionnaire all over again sometime :grin3:
Haha I guess so!

Ok, I'm just back from the aquatic shop and got some Biodigest (thanks @odin for the heads up!) And he said that I should have a filter in there because the water will be stagnant.

Now, I do have a filter but I read the start-up FAQ post a, I've seen other people's set ups, and I heard that shrimp are amazing keeping their environment healthy without any filtration.

Should I be using my filter?

TIA!
 #6285  by opae ula related

Melijayne wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 23 Dec 2018 06:19 Nice! You can add the old tank water to the new tank.
Aaah I was supposed to like your comment but accidentally pressed dislike!!! I'm so sorry!!!
Ha, sure Odin can fix. :)