Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #228  by odin

The Nerite snails i have seem to lay an egg every few inches in a line around the bottom of the substrate and the tank wall, some have disappeared but the others are still there. they also don't breed like crazy compared to the fresh water types (MTS and Assassin snails).
 #230  by Ann

I was thinking about Nerites and thought about adding Cuttlebone to the tank for their shells.
Ann
 #231  by odin

Ann wrote:I was thinking about Nerites and thought about adding Cuttlebone to the tank for their shells.
Ann
You can add that to provide extra nutrients to help with their shell health/growth but the ocean rock will do the exact same thing, more surface to eat algae off too.
 #241  by odin

1st May 2016
Today i dropped a ShrimpLab algae pad into my communal tank to feed them and topped off all 3 of my tanks with RO water. The 2 cubes have a small gap around the lids so they lose water to evaporation pretty fast compared to my communal tank [#03] which is a conventional fish tank with a real lid and it keeps the water level up.

I've seen baby shrimp in my large tank a few times but they seem to appear out of the blue, while topping up the water i noticed this mummy shrimp! Things should get really fun to watch and study now :laugh:

Sorry about the quality, manual focus on a camera with a macro lens and holding the camera without a tripod is a mission to get a good snap :tongue:
DSC00547.JPG
DSC00547.JPG (195.29 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
DSC00546.JPG
DSC00546.JPG (194.49 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
 #244  by Ann

Your posts make me want to use the ten gallon more and more. I just hope I'm up to it. I love to see life progressing.
Ann
 #246  by odin

:smile: :smile: :smile: it's better to get one larger one then buy small then add another small one. If I could do it again I'd of gone for a larger tank.
 #248  by Ann

Yes. It's just sitting there all empty and sad. I was going to set up an all male Heterandria Formosa tank, but they don't interest nearly as much as those little shrimp do! :happy:
 #249  by odin

I just had a google for Heterandria Formosa and they are a close relation to guppies and Mollie's, I see why you would have a same sex only tank. If they breed like their relatives you will have a tank full in no time. :grin:
 #250  by Ann

Sorry, I should have provided a link. They have so many common names that I provided the scientific name. I found a breeder that sells only males, but I am in love with the shrimp. They do breed like guppies and seemed to be a good choice, but the shrimp are a better choice.
Ann