Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6559  by zlatan2601

More bad news! Until two days ago i saw quite some larvae when i used light on the tank. Today i see none! Plus i found a dead one (see photo). Anything i can do? :(
Attachments:
IMG_20190123_195648.jpg
IMG_20190123_195648.jpg (682.55 KiB) Viewed 25597 times
 #6560  by opae ula related

zlatan2601 wrote:The legs of my seastar are coloring yellow and falling apart. Still ok to keep it in the tank or not?

It's been in the water for a few days, shrilps are still ok. The seastar was in my closet for several years so it was dry.. found it on a beach some years ago :)
I personally would get rid of it.
 #6561  by opae ula related

zlatan2601 wrote:More bad news! Until two days ago i saw quite some larvae when i used light on the tank. Today i see none! Plus i found a dead one (see photo). Anything i can do? :(
19c is around 66f which is kinda cold in my opinion. Can you raise it? I personally keep them in the 70's F range. I used to keep it high 70's but recently changed it to low 70's and they are still happy. You have a water test kit? Also did you wash everything you found in the pass that you added to your tank?
 #6562  by zlatan2601

1 star fish is out of it but it feld sandy and broke apart. The other star fish i cant remove as it has fallen between the rocks. Yes i washed everything. 19°C is room temperature, i don't have a heater at this moment. The elder shrimps are swimming a lot though so they seem happy. Unfortunately i do not have a water quality test kit, but everything is washed and rinsed in sea water...
Last edited by zlatan2601 on 23 Jan 2019 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
 #6571  by zlatan2601

I know. But what i see is that the larvae died (i assume) and that the mature opae ula are happy and swimming a lot... are there any possible causes why the larvae would die but not the mature opae ula? Are they more sensitive to some parameters as far as we know?
 #6572  by Algae In Space

Well the "empirical knowledge" is not a very complete one in this case I guess... It could mean that there is not enough "micronutrients" in the tank at this moment i.e. biofilm. Or that the water went bad somehow. It could be the water temperature as OUR said... it's a bit on the low side. But then the adult Opaes would be effected I guess. I am no larvae expert tho. It's really hard to remote diagnose. :sad2:
Attachments:
hawaii climate.png
hawaii climate.png (203.47 KiB) Viewed 25575 times
 #6573  by zlatan2601

Not enough micronutritiens makes sense, as i was not able to cycle my tank (see messages above). I hope it's only that. My belgian contact always keeps the opae ula at more or less the same temperature and they are doing fine and breeding a lot for several years. I guess i will need to wait it out and hope for the best... If i do a partial water change I am afraid i will remove the few micronutritients which are currently in there...

Thanks anyhow for replying!
 #6574  by zlatan2601

FYI, the opae are more active than ever at this stage... Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad, but they are swimming like crazy this evening...