Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8076  by Owlbit

Algae In Space wrote: 22 Jul 2019 19:35
Owlbit wrote: 22 Jul 2019 18:12 Today is the first time I have witnessed them filter feeding from the water surface.

I don't want to anger anyone but I don't think they are filter feeders in the narrow sense of the word like clams or krill are... just saying. :blush:

I think this is a misunderstanding.
It is my bad. I think I am using the wrong word. I meant they are feeding from surface. You just reminded me that filter feeding is what bamboo shrimps do where they get particles that come into their filters. My little shrimps are feeding from the surface. Thank you for correcting me. :laugh:
 #8078  by odin

All seems well in your shrimp kingdom! I find some goto the surface to eat while some swim around grabbing and then you get the ones that eat from the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8088  by Owlbit

The bottom 2 shrimps. Is that what the beginnings of a saddle look like? or are they just really well fed?
tank_20190725a.jpg
tank_20190725a.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 8994 times
 #8105  by Owlbit

@Algae In Space :grin2: Although now I don't know where those females disappeared to. I don't see more than 10-15 of them at any given time. That is 1/3 to 1/2 the population. No known deaths.

How to deal with all the poop under the rock? :sick: I wish I did a course lava rock bottom instead of seeing all this poop on the sand. I may just use the mini siphon I made using airline tube and syringe on Sunday (my tank maintenance and parameter testing day). The poop looks so dirty. And my pig of a snail is eating up all the greens. I think he will have to be moved later when I have a larger tank set up.
tank_20190726a_thumb.jpg
tank_20190726a_thumb.jpg (224.91 KiB) Viewed 8980 times
 #8106  by Algae In Space

Your tank totally reminds me of my first tank! You too got nice Ohko stones!

This does not seem like poop. Seems like algae!? Even if it were poop => this is part of the natural cycle. I'd just let it be where it is :smile: All's well.

#8108  by Owlbit

:laugh: Nice oxydator. Makes me feel a little better there is no filter. Some shrimps like to play in the bubble... and ride it up, then go down and ride it up again. I accidentally put 2 catalysts in mine for a 2.5g tank.

I like your stone. I love all those holes. My shrimps are finally making good use of all the caves.

The poop is mixed with algae? lol Now if only I can say " just let it be where it is" for cat poop. :pff:
tank_20190726b_thumb.jpg
tank_20190726b_thumb.jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 8968 times
 #8109  by Algae In Space

Owlbit wrote: 27 Jul 2019 04:13 :laugh: Nice oxydator. Makes me feel a little better there is no filter. Some shrimps like to play in the bubble... and ride it up, then go down and ride it up again. I accidentally put 2 catalysts in mine for a 2.5g tank.

I like your stone. I love all those holes. My shrimps are finally making good use of all the caves.

The poop is mixed with algae? lol Now if only I can say " just let it be where it is" for cat poop. :pff:

tank_20190726b_thumb.jpg

The Oxydator is pretty much the only leftover from my old tank!

Yeah I guess a cat ecosphere project is a whole other story! :wink:
 #8110  by Owlbit

I had to siphon the sand (front easy to reach section only) and do a 20% water change. I dosed Seachem Prime and Stability.

Ammonia was high. pH dropped to 7.8. Nitrite 0. Nitrate <10. My poly filter (two little cut cubes) probably helped remove any toxic ammonia.

I guess the tank is going through another cycle due to the bioload. Shrimps are fine, with no loss. Snail is... still eating everything in sight.

I will just have to test twice a day and do a water change when needed for now.
 #8111  by Algae In Space

Owlbit wrote: 28 Jul 2019 17:38 I had to siphon the sand (front easy to reach section only) and do a 20% water change. I dosed Seachem Prime and Stability.

Ammonia was high. pH dropped to 7.8. Nitrite 0. Nitrate <10. My poly filter (two little cut cubes) probably helped remove any toxic ammonia.

I guess the tank is going through another cycle due to the bioload. Shrimps are fine, with no loss. Snail is... still eating everything in sight.

I will just have to test twice a day and do a water change when needed for now.

Do you still have the filter running?