Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7872  by Owlbit

Not sure. There is a film on the top surface that reminds me of a green oil slick without being oil. I can swirl it around like I did in the picture I took. The water itself is also a lighter green. Even the snail is pooping green. :lol:

There is also some strange green thing floating around. A strand of chaeto? Can't be possible. I never added any to my tank. I could not get a picture of that. I am just watching it to see if it ever grows.
Attachments:
tank_20190703_thumb.jpg
tank_20190703_thumb.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
 #7873  by Algae In Space

Owlbit wrote: 03 Jul 2019 19:21 Not sure. There is a film on the top surface that reminds me of a green oil slick without being oil. I can swirl it around like I did in the picture I took. The water itself is also a lighter green. Even the snail is pooping green. :lol:

There is also some strange green thing floating around. A strand of chaeto? Can't be possible. I never added any to my tank. I could not get a picture of that. I am just watching it to see if it ever grows.

Hm! Seems like regular algae to me not cyanobacteria... this can happen with a new tank. It happened in my first tank. Not in the second one. But I used Microbe Lift from the start. Guess the tank has not found it's "balance" yet.
 #7876  by Owlbit

:grin: Ammonia and Nitrite tested 0 today. Nitrate < 5. Snail is eating well. I am looking forward to getting some shrimps soon.

On a side note, I am glad I waited this long to set up and cycle my tank. I love how green my tank looks and that the snail is eating so much rich green algae that he is actually pooping green. The shrimps are going to have a feast.
 #7884  by Vorteil

The green water should be good for the opae too. They also filter feed. @opae ula related has some great videos showing the opae filter feeding on here & Youtube.
 #7886  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
Vorteil wrote: 05 Jul 2019 17:07 videos showing the opae filter feeding on here & Youtube.

Do you have a link to such a vid?! I was always wondering about that.
Here is one I took a few yrs back.