Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9592  by odin

Congratulations! Maybe water temperature has something to do with the release period being longer? What temperature is your tank water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9594  by Jeroen

Thanks a lot! They are doing great and you can see them grow by day.

That could be a logical explantion. They are just at room temperature here without heater. Normally the temperature should not drop below 17 degree at night and around 20/21 degree during the day.
Also the other eggs of other females start to develop now. Untill now they were quite dark, almost black and by now they start to turn orange/red. This is exactly the same as seen before, and these females were berried a couple of weeks later.

still weird, but if they are doing fine, i'm happy!
 #9595  by odin

I run my tanks with a heater and have my water at 22C constantly unless our British Summers make them rocket up, you may get more breeding if you up their tank water temperature :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9603  by Jeroen

Thanks for the tip! The only problem I have at the moment is that I run just a very small tank of only 2 Liters of water. I'm a little bit affraid that if I introduce a heater, that at some day I'll boil them. Besides that in 2 liter a heater takes quite some space.

My idea was to breed them slowely in this tank so I can grow a colony to introduce them later in a bigger shallow tank in which I can installl a heater. I do like the shallower tanks
 #9637  by Jeroen

I really think it’s just that i have slow breeding Opae’s....the second female released another batch of around 15 larvea and also around 9 weeks....
I ordered another identical tank for my sister, And her house is always warmer. Time will tell if they will breed faster/have a shorter period of being berried.

Larvea are doing fine so far and I counted around 30 larvea now. Still two berried Females remaining. I had an accident caused a couple of dead larvea. Seems they burried themselfs deep in the gravel....did anyone experienced the same?
Attachments:
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG (856.64 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG (849.18 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
 #9638  by Jeroen

I need quick advise, as more and more shrimp burry themself and die!!! Shoud I move them in a new empty container with Some algae and water from that small aquarium?!

I have a same aquarium in stock, so I can put half of the water in there and move them to that new tank without substrate, and then party do a water change on both tanks??

Or do you think I do more harm with moving them?
 #9641  by Vorteil

I've had the same thing happen. All my babies from one batch ended up all sinking and dying. No idea why. I just left them in the tank.
 #9648  by odin

When you say berried and die, are the mother shrimps dying or the larvae she has released?
 #9650  by Jeroen

Odin,

sorry that was probably the autocorrect. I mean that the larvae shrimp bury themself in the gravel; got stuck and die. The adult shrimp are still fine!